1 888 2361 scam

"Your Windows has been blocked due to suspicious activity......... call 1-888-408-2361" for customer service.  This froze my laptop and set off an annoying alarm, and warning me not to shutdown or restart.  All started when I clicked on a search for MSNBC.

Anyone had this problem and /or have a fix?

Thanks,

Dean

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2019 Views 28,840 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

"Your Windows has been blocked due to suspicious activity......... call 1-888-408-2361" for customer service.  This froze my laptop and set off an annoying alarm, and warning me not to shutdown or restart.  All started when I clicked on a search for MSNBC.

Anyone had this problem and /or have a fix?

Thanks,

Dean

I think just about everyone who connects to the internet has had this problem, but the fix is obviously still not well known. The vast majority of these browser-locking Tech Support Scam pages aren’t caused by any kind of external malware – they’re just malicious web pages that lock up a browser by a running an active script. The script reopens the fake alert dialog every time you try to close it by clicking on the OK button – and since this alert dialog is application modal, looping it like this prevents you from regaining access to the browser’s graphical interface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_window

So the generic fix is only a couple of mouse clicks away: Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager. Then select the browser app and click the End task button.

The modal dialog loop is a well-known browser exploit that’s been with us for a number of years now, but browser developers have been inexplicably slow to respond. Even when this exploit does get patched, the solution provided is often less-than-ideal – as with Microsoft Edge, where the Dialog Loop Protection patch goes largely unnoticed:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/system-error/dcccc74e-fb98-43a8-8579-956692a40982

And I’m afraid that the old “Don’t click on anything” rule is actually one of the major holdbacks here, because if you don’t have the pluck to click on that OK button in the fake alert dialog, then you’ll never discover the new fix for these Tech Support Scam pages (in Edge only). When you click on the OK button, this is what you’ll see – and when you put a tick in that new checkbox; and then click on the Leave this page button, you should be home free:

GreginMich

149 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.