logmein123 scam: received a call saying my antivirus was corrupted

original title: logmein123 scam?

I got a call from someone who knew my last name, knew I had vista and called my unlisted number.  He (in a thick indian accent) said he would connect me with someone from Microsoft.  He had me go to start, right click on computer and go into the viewer and see all the errors.  He said my anti virus and other software was corrupted.  Then he thought I would under the run command enter www.logmein123.com and then he would connect me with a microsoft tech.  I told him no and asked him for his number and name.
His was Austin Stone employee badge 10003 phone number *****Edited***** and he said the techs name was David Alex.  what is this? is my computer infected or corrupted?
Answer
Answer

If you let them into your computer, that means that they could have done anything to it that they want.  They could have installed software to let them capture your passwords, they could have stolen any information on it, or they could have left viruses or other unwanted guests behind when they left.  Personally, if I were you I would notify your bank of this episode, then back up any files you need to keep, then wipe the computer completely clean and reinstall Windows from scratch, then reinstall your programs and restore the backed-up files.

"OnePiece" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

If I had already let them connect to the computer what does that mean for me? please reply soon >_<

49 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

support.me & logmein123.com is a very valid tool, the scam has nothing to do with the tools they use.  Report malicious support people to logmein (that are using their tools):

https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/Customer/ReportAbuse.aspx

Do not let a cold caller into your computer.  If you have a trusted support person, & you can see, touch, and trust them;  you may find, they use that good tool (at $1300/seat/yr-unlimited connections)..  

Before you have let the scammers into your computer, write down the code they give you to connect, then hang up and report it, immediately (use the phone number in the above link(hit support option(2)).  That will help stop those scammers from using that tech tool.

Do not do anything, they tell you to do, give them any answer you want, plead ignorance- drive THEM through their script--get the code number and hangup...If you can get the code number, and report them they will be out $1300...

There are other remote tools scammers use, from other vendors.  This suggestion only applies to the aforementioned 'logmein' tools.  Other Mfg tools, that are respected vendors, may have abuse hotlines, also;  but you may want to just hang up, if the caller is using them AND/OR get information on how to report them, from a trusted source, so you are prepared, the next time they call.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2020 Views 148,813 Applies to: