In response to the MEMZ trojan incidents.

Lemme explain, to those of you still with questions about MEMZ.

Leurak, the creator of the virus, intended it only to be for fun, and it was for Youtuber danooct1's 'Viewer-made malware' series.

He privately sent it out to some others, and some of the reciepients failed to follow Leurak's request NOT to share it to their peers or strangers.

The virus was leaked. The developer made Memz 4.0, as well as a clean version. MEMZ 4 had a warning message to warn users that the file was dangerous.

But of course we all know what happens when a noob with no computer experience doesn't listen.

Or when a user gets the virus and attempts to use is on his/her friend, not stopping to think how it affects others.

I just want to clarify, This is the result of one thing: stupidity. Not listening.

Also, MEMZ does not "completely brick/destroy computers and data". This is a common misconception from all sorts of PC users. If you get a virus, it doesn't "destroy" the PC. In a way, it's possible to create a virus the can destroy some hardware, such as one that wears the hard disk, or worse: a twist on the generally "harmless" Stuxnet virus, where instead of only targeting centrifuges...well, how about we turn off the CPU fans? Then the system overheats! Generally though, the closest you'll get to 'destroying' the PC is by wiping the BIOS. MEMZ doesn't do that--it targets the MBR instead. Not to mention that while it can be a pain to do, it's entirely possible to recover the BIOS.

That's all I have time to say right now. While most users seeking this article might not find this helpful and are already aware of these things, I wanted to inform some less-experienced or unaware users.

Also, just FYI, it is entirely possible to overcome the MBR issues by using backups, or any other form of recovery. In fact, I've never tried this, but it (might) actually be possible to fix it with a Windows reinstall, without losing stuff--as long as it's done right. <---Nvm, scratch that.

Or maybe a live boot from an external medium, then from there get your files. tada.

IDK, but don't call the IT guy. They'll wipe it, like they tend to do, legit or not. Even if it's one of those that KNOWS what they're doing and doesn't do the exact opposite of what they're asked (we get a lot of those, including odd teens at tmobile who dont do their job. I blame my mom cuz when I say I'll help with something, she doesn't listen), they'll probably wipe it still--I wouldn't know what else to do.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 8, 2019 Views 11,154 Applies to:

Lemme explain, to those of you still with questions about MEMZ.

Leurak, the creator of the virus, intended it only to be for fun, and it was for Youtuber danooct1's 'Viewer-made malware' series.

He privately sent it out to some others, and some of the reciepients failed to follow Leurak's request NOT to share it to their peers or strangers.

[snip]

Thanks, but the Memz issue is almost a year old and information very similar to yours has been posted in these, and possibly other, threads.

MEMZ Malware,Virus, Trojan Completely Destroying Computers and Data 

MEMZ Virus

Don

Leurak is developing MEMZ 5.0. It was stated to be "the last big update for MEMZ." I'm guessing it's going to get worse right now, but I'd rather not download the destructive version.

You stated...

Also, MEMZ does not "completely brick/destroy computers and data".

Actually, it does. Leurak states that "it overwrites more than just the MBR," meaning that, when rebooted the operating system is uninstalled (the C: drive is deleted/formatted/destroyed/erased/wiped) and replaced with the Nyan Cat, making it impossible to restore the operating system data. You should never attempt to run the MEMZ trojan if you own a real machine.

You know, I'm a fan of SoundSpectrum's visuals. I just like to create my own configs and submit them.
Most of this is almost true, Nobody leaked MEMZ though. Leurak posted the MEMZ virus onto the fourms, https://danooct1.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=470 but that website is useless now due to it being closed down by the owner of the forum, dannoct1.