Spybot Search and Destroy is picking up HKUS which is says is in Microsoft items

Hi everyone

I need some assistance... when I run the program "Spybot: Search and Destroy" it keeps picking up HKUS\S-1-5-21 where the location is set as a Microsoft item.

Screenshot:

For instance, the first "Internet Explorer" option includes Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent (is not)

When I click "Fix selected" it doesn't remove them; if I re-run Spybot they're still there. 

My question is - from searching the internet I've received conflicting results. In some cases HKUS is supposed to be a terrible virus or malware, but other results say that it's nothing to worry about and is erroneously being reported by Spybot. I know that Microsoft isn't Malware but it's possible that it's been infected.

Can someone please advise what action I should take regarding this (if any)? I've run Windows Defender and it doesn't pick up anything, same with other anti-malware programs I have. 

|

Is this your thread?: https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?75736-Unable-to-remove-HKU-S-1-5-21

If so, please stick with that thread and the help of

JulietNE

in the spybot forum.

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jsssssssss

That is my thread. I thought I would try here as well as the items listed had Microsoft in the file path so I might get an "official response" on if they're Malware or things I need to worry about. But it's ok if that's not allowed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not really "forbidden" to cross-post in different forums but it doesn't make much sense and can sometimes be quite bad when different helpers are letting you run tools which could be counter-productive to the advice which you receive elsewhere.

I know and trust the judgement of MVP JulietNE  who is helping you in the Spybot forum...

She's sometimes also helping out here in the Microsoft Community...

Best wishes,

Julia

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2021 Views 934 Applies to: