Cloudfront.net Malware

I have read all of the other posts regarding this malware and have attempted to use those suggestions to remove this beast but so far without success. 

dwq4do82y8xi7.cloudfront.net shows up as a cookie in CCleaner even after I have run it. This software is unable to delete it even when I try the manual removal that CCleaner provides. That method appears to delete it but then it simply reappears. I have also run the following:

Microsoft Safety Scanner

AdwCleanerr

HitmanPro

Malwarebytes

I ran scans with all four programs and no malware was reported by any of them.

I have Chrome, Firefox, and IE 11 installed, all without any extensions and I have reset all of them back to their initial defaults. The name Cloudfront does not appear in my app/program list nor is it installed as an extension in any of the browsers. After using the browsers to surf awhile I checked them for stored cookies. I have not found the Cloudfront cookie in any of the browsers caches.

I must also say that I have not seen any popup ads that are out of the ordinary nor any strange redirects. So, my question is: "Is my computer infected with this malware?" I ask specifically whether I am infected because the only evidence is the cookie that CCleaner reports and cannot delete.

Paul

Windows 10

Answer
Answer

What ccleaner is detecting may be an inert remnant that is not causing issues. 

And a cookie as you know is not considered malware.

Absent evidence of adware issues I recommend you ignore the presence of this “cookie." 

You might also seek advice from Piriform: http://forum.piriform.com/

If you can copy this file you can also submit it to VirusTotal for analysis if you wish to do so: https://www.virustotal.com/

Regards...
MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2020 Views 2,869 Applies to: