Question

Windows Defender - Real Time Protection Won't Turn On

K_Dunc asked on

Hi all,

I've read many posts on this site already regarding Windows Defender - regrettably, here's another.  Here is my situation: I have a laptop that originally had XP.  I upgraded to the free Windows 10 version.  I did have an anti virus installed.  At one stage, I think I had some Trend version.  I have completely uninstalled all AV versions that I'm aware of.  I've even used the ESET AV Remover Tool - it returned zero results.  I see nothing obvious in the "Apps & features" list.  I've updated my registry to turn Windows Defender on (link), but to no avail.  I have uninstalled Windows Security Essentials as per this link.  For the first time, that turned on "Virus and spyware definitions", so I had a feeling that I was finally getting somewhere; however, WD continues to suggest that it's "handled by another AV program."

Where to from here please?

Thanks,

Kirk.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

71 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

Or, if you are comfortable with Command Prompt, you can run this command as Administrator (courtesy of GreginMich):

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Just press Win key + X and click on 'Command Prompt (Admin)' for quickly opening CMD window.

Prashant Kumar

Please come back with the results.
Please mark replies as helpful/answer if they are.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

Since you have Windows 10 Pro, you can follow these steps as alternative to Step 8 from the wiki:

1. Press Win key + R. This will open Run dialog.
  2. Type "gpedit.msc" and hit Enter.
  3. Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Template -> Windows Components -> Windows Defender.
  4. There you will find a setting called 'Turn off Windows Defender'. Change that policy to 'Disabled'.
  5. Restart the system and check Windows Defender again.

Prashant Kumar

Please come back with the results.
Please mark replies as helpful/answer if they are.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress