Question

Q: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.6196.0) - Error 0x80070643

How to fix the following error

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.6196.0) - Error 0x80070643

[Moved from Windows]

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please follow the methods below and see if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run Windows Update Troubleshooter

Follow the below steps:

1.     Type troubleshooting in the search bar. 

2.     Select Troubleshooting.

3.     Select View all on the top left corner.

4.     Click on windows update.

5.     Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter

Method 2:

If the issue still persists, try the below method and check if it helps or not:

I would recommend you to reset the windows update component manually. Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Updates quickly. Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, CryptographicMSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren <C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old>

ren <C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old>

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits 

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

Also refer the link below for more information

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3105210

Hope this information helps. Please post us if you need any further assistance with Windows.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

69 people were helped by this reply

I'm having the same issue with the 14 Feb 2016 Windows Defender Updates and error 0x80070643.

Method 1 did not work for me.

In Method 2, I can stop the services fine, but I am getting "access denied" when trying to renaame catroot2 to catroot2.old.  Made sure the cmd prompt was administrative. Also tried to manually rename it in the Windows\system32 folder and got a message that the file was in use in another place.

Suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

@Shootfire -

This is the generic error_install_failed message.  If you can post the last failed entry of the following file (\windows\temp\mpsigstub.log) I can follow up with the engineering team. 

Windows Defender receives it update by default through Windows Update Service.  I would first check to see if the Windows Update service is working correctly. 

If that is working and you feel that you need to manually download latest signatures try executing the following command : "%programfiles%\windows defender\mpcmdrun.exe" -signatureupdate -http

Thx,

CJ.Eichholz (MSFT) - Microsoft Antimalware

CyberDust: +msft_cjeichholz

Twitter : @msft_cjeichholz

This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support.

This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support

Sorry this didn't help.

22 people were helped by this reply

@BobbyBoyer -

The error you are seeing is generic error failed (not helpful on either end). 

Try executing the following command : "%programfiles%\windows defender\mpcmdrun.exe" -signatureupdate -http

I'm digging into this a bit more to try and understand why this is happening

Thx,

CJ.Eichholz (MSFT) - Microsoft Antimalware

CyberDust: +msft_cjeichholz

Twitter : @msft_cjeichholz

This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support.

This post is provided as-is with no warranty or support

Sorry this didn't help.

19 people were helped by this reply

Here's that log. The other thing of note here is, Windows Defender is switched OFF and the Windows Defender service is set to manual and not running. I use Norton Security. So not sure why it's attempting to download updates to begin with...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Command:    MpSigStub.exe /program "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\AM_Delta.exe" WD /q
Start time: 2/16/2016 7:39 PM (version 11.1.5276.0)

=================================== ProductSearch ==================================

Windows Defender:
        Product: 4.9.10586.0      
         Engine: 1.1.12400.0      
     Signatures: 1.213.6150.0     
     NIS Engine: 2.1.11804.0      
 NIS Signatures: 115.35.0.0       

================================ PackageDiscovery ================================

Package files discovered:
C:\Windows\Temp\F07F6A8C0793C1A42BD3B274BBD222C5-Sigs\MPASDLTA.VDM (1.213.6352.0)
C:\Windows\Temp\F07F6A8C0793C1A42BD3B274BBD222C5-Sigs\MPAVDLTA.VDM (1.213.6352.0)

AM Delta:   
       Engine: Not included
  AS base VDM: Not included
  AV base VDM: Not included
 AS delta VDM: 1.213.6352.0
 AV delta VDM: 1.213.6352.0

================================= MpUpdateEngine =================================

Sorry this didn't help.

14 people were helped by this reply

Hi,

I'm still having this issue weeks later. (Posted log above)

Here is what else I've done to try and troubleshoot:

- I thought maybe if I started Windows Defender and updated through the app itself, it might fix it. So I attempted to start the Windows Update service (WinDefend) through services.msc. Upon pressing start, I got "Error 577: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file..."  

- I was also unable to manually switch on Windows Defender in the Windows 10 Settings -> Update & security menu.  

So the issue seems to lie with Windows Defender, not necessarily Windows Update.

I would also like to know if this error on Windows Update is preventing me from getting additional updates, because I haven't seen any other updates available since this error showed up.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

14 people were helped by this reply

This is what worked for other Norton users:

Try uninstalling Norton with the help of the Norton Removal tool: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Then disable Windows Defender completely, see either Option 1 or 2 depending on your Windows edition: Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

And then reinstall your Norton product.

===== 

For other AV products use the specific AV removal tools:

List of anti-malware product removal tools

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common Windows antivirus software

Cheers,

J

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Jsssssss - just wanted to say that worked. I uninstalled Norton (did not use the removal tool, though, as i was going to immediately reinstall).  Switched off Defender, reinstalled Norton and issue gone.  I should have thought of that solution so thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

You're very welcome, Shootfire, and thanks for your feedback :)

Have a good day!

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  My problem is fixed

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 26,192 Last updated: May 19, 2018 Applies to: