Question

Q: UNABLE TO UPDATE THE WINDOWS 10 DEFENDER'S SPYWARE DEFINITIONS

My system is unable to update the Windows 10 Defender's Virus Spyware Definitions. Please help me urgently because this is disrupting my work very seriously.

Thanks.

Ben Ejimagwa

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Answer-by-number:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

3. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

6. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

36 people were helped by this reply

Started for me after the last update to Windows wonder if it is a glitch with the new update.

Sorry this didn't help.

29 people were helped by this reply

I'm having the same problem and apparently it's widespread.  I have an Asus which was originally Windows 7 and it automatically updated to Windows 10 while I was not using it.  I have never used Norton nor McAfee.  The Version is 1606 and the OS Build is 14393.1593.  I thought I fixed the problem by doing a ChkDisk but apparently not.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Doesn't 't matter, I have them and it's doing the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Think I just going to delete them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

cant update windows defender such a pain in the ****

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Answer-by-number:

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

3 years ago

Upgraded from win7

ACER

no norton or mcafee installed

never run removal tools

version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066

Sorry this didn't help.

unable to turn on or update window defender, how do I correct this problem/

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer-by-number:

1. purchased in August 2015

2. Laptop came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled and then was freely upgraded to Windows 10.

3. IT is HP make laptop

4. McAfee Antivirus has been installed on the laptop

5. No. I have not run the Norton Removal Tool or McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

6. Windows Version 1607 (OS Build 14394.1593)

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Cannot update windows defender virus definition file ,

Answer by the numbers .

1. 2013 , I think .

2. No , updated from Win 8.1

3. HP

4. I don't remember .    

5. I don't know . picked up a Virus about two years ago . Had on-line supposed computer tech fix my system that is                  when my problems began with system besides the definition file's other things wont down load ether ,  ex . Fox fire

browser .

6. Ver .1607 (OS build 14393 , 1593 )

I just folowed this thred to this help aria from Windows defender . If you can help me that would be great .

Thank You .   Richard S. Bucklew

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

I am having the same problem unable to update defender....for 2 years I have always been able to update all of a sudden now I can't. 

1. purchased in August 2015

2. Desktop came with Windows 8.1 pre installed and then was freely upgraded to Windows 10.

3. It is an Acer Desktop PC

4. No antivirus but windows defender

5. No. I have not run the Norton Removal Tool or McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

6. Windows Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198)

I think I may have some kind of virus running somewhere in the background so I really need to update this.

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 3,944 Last updated: May 15, 2018 Applies to: