Windows defender won't start in Windows 8 after a factory reset, 0x800705b4

I have quantity 4 brand new HP Pavilion Touch Smart 11 notebooks running Win8 64bit; I'll refer to them as PC1, PC2, etc..  My objective is to be able to recover any of PC1 through PC4 using a single recovery media set, preferably the USB stick.

After resetting PC1 to factory default using PC1's internal hard drive Windows partition, I successfully do the following:

1. I use Norton's uninstall tool to remove their internet security program

2. I reboot

3. I run Windows defender from the Control Panel

4. Everything is fine

After resetting PC1 to factory default using PC1's DVD recovery media I get the same result as above.

After resetting PC1 to factory default using PC2's USB recovery media, Windows defender won't start from the Control Panel or the Action Center:

1. Error code 0x800705b4, a time out error

It doesn't seem reasonable that I have to have a 'personalized' set of recovery media for each PC.  I did read through many prior 0x800705b4 posts but couldn't find a solution.  The computer clock is set fine.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2020 Views 15,909 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You should be able to use the recovery media between PCs interchangeably since the PCs are identical. The only thing you may need to do is deal with Activation of Windows if HP embedded the Product Key in the recovery media for each PC, though I suspect that they didn't.

You're going to always want to use the Norton removal tool.

Then you may need to actually stop and start the Windows Defender service. See this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start/window-8-windows-defender-service-will-not-start/a5a5ebf8-d87e-4f2f-9850-db801d8be97a

-steve

^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.