Q: windows defender stopped working error code 15100 (failed to read description) when starting service This thread is locked from future replies

I have windows 7 64 bit. I restored my computer backup from 5-7-13  due to the fact windows defender was giving me a problem not opening when I clicked on the icon and nothing happens. The restore worked fine along with windows defender I was able to click the icon and it opened up with the menu

After the restore I checked for updates I had 10 outstanding for windows and others and windows defender kb915597 definition 1.151.173 I installed  all that were on the updates and completed successfully. 

I then clicked the icon for windows defender and nothing happens I checked the services tried to start and stop windows defender and get error  15100 failed to read description. 

My question to you...can a bad kb915597 update cause this problem? Any help to solve this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Steve: To keep you informed and  let you know in the future if someone else is having this problem(windows defender 15100 error reading description file ) let them try running sfc/scannow thru command prompt. 

I ran it and I had a corrupt file now I'm back in business. Keep this in your solution box.

Ps: I think what caused this problem I didn't wait for windows defender to finish scanning and started the scan with MacAfee  causing a corrupt file .  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,038 Last updated: February 15, 2018 Applies to: