windows defender stopped working error code 15100 (failed to read description) when starting service

I have windows 7 64 bit. I restored my computer backup from 5-7-13  due to the fact windows defender was giving me a problem not opening when I clicked on the icon and nothing happens. The restore worked fine along with windows defender I was able to click the icon and it opened up with the menu

After the restore I checked for updates I had 10 outstanding for windows and others and windows defender kb915597 definition 1.151.173 I installed  all that were on the updates and completed successfully. 

I then clicked the icon for windows defender and nothing happens I checked the services tried to start and stop windows defender and get error  15100 failed to read description. 

My question to you...can a bad kb915597 update cause this problem? Any help to solve this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Nick

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2018 Views 4,215 Applies to:
Answer

Steve: To keep you informed and  let you know in the future if someone else is having this problem(windows defender 15100 error reading description file ) let them try running sfc/scannow thru command prompt. 

I ran it and I had a corrupt file now I'm back in business. Keep this in your solution box.

Nick

Ps: I think what caused this problem I didn't wait for windows defender to finish scanning and started the scan with MacAfee  causing a corrupt file .  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.