Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer

Hey folks,

I just got a new Windows 8 IdeaPad laptop with McAfee preinstalled on it. I intend to use Windows Defender not McAfee, so I have uninstalled McAfee by clicking uninstall from the start menu and restarted my computer.  However, when I try to turn on Defender, I get this message every time I even try to open it:

Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer.
       If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status.

I've been Googling around, and have seen others with the same problem, but no good answers yet. Any suggestions?

Also as a side question, could somebody explain to me why everyone I talk to about AV instantly says "get rid of that preinstalled Norton/McAfee!!"

Thanks for the help!

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2019 Views 148,527 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hey folks,

I just got a new Windows 8 IdeaPad laptop with McAfee preinstalled on it. I intend to use Windows Defender not McAfee, so I have uninstalled McAfee by clicking uninstall from the start menu and restarted my computer.  However, when I try to turn on Defender, I get this message every time I even try to open it:

Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer.
       If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status.

I've been Googling around, and have seen others with the same problem, but no good answers yet. Any suggestions?

Also as a side question, could somebody explain to me why everyone I talk to about AV instantly says "get rid of that preinstalled Norton/McAfee!!"

Thanks for the help!

See

Windows Defender on Windows 8 wiki:

http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/163.aspx

Run the McAfee removal tool (found via

http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/156.aspx)

Once McAfee is fully removed, and after a reboot, the Action Center should advise that Defender is off and needs to be started.

I can only offer my opinion on your final question. These vendors, among others, have allowed their programs to become bloated with features that do little to add to security. And I've encountered too many strange connectivity problems that were resolved by replacing the antivirus program that was preinstalled. And, finally, these are the two programs most often deployed by OEMs on new PCs -- and you can clearly see that you need neither on Windows 8, yet here you are struggling to get Defender started.

-steve

^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I don't think refresh is a good option for enabling Windows Defender. Removing McAfee with its Removal Tool is enough. Refresh will remove every driver, software, etc. which came pre-installed and which user has installed. He has to install everything again after refresh.
Please come back with the results.
Please mark replies as helpful/answer if they are.

61 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.