WINDOW 8 : Windows Defender service will not start

After removing McAfee from Windows 8 the Windows Defender service cannot be started/stop, uninstalled/reinstalled.

This is intolerable!!!!!!!!!!!!

It tells me the service "started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs"

Tried running McAfee removal tool - didn't help.

I already resent Window 8 and a company that allowed these AV cowboys to disable inbuilt AV in spite!!!!

ANGRY! ANGRY! ANGRY!

Tried running McAfee removal tool - didn't help

Mc Afee is a virus ! - unwanted malicious S/W contaminating my PC

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2020 Views 62,051 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You can also re-enable Windows Defender simply by typing in the command line:

sc start WinDefend Enable.

84 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

After an hour or so of frustration and dozens of web searches, I finally got Windows Defender running after uninstalling Norton Internet Security. None of the web pages I read gave me the outright answer, and only one of dozens even provided a hint: make sure that the Security Center service is running.

My Security Center service was running, but it occurred to me that Security Center may still think that Norton is my active anti-virus product. On a hunch I stopped and started Security Center. Within seconds a box popped up saying that Defender was out of date, and to click on the box to update it. When I clicked on the box, Defender opened, and I was able to download and install the latest updates. When I went back to Services I found that Windows Defender is now running and set to start Automatically.

I am hugely disappointed that Microsoft has not been able to provide this relatively simple (and in hindsight, fairly logical) fix.

Hopefully this post will save someone a bit of time and frustration.

dphoward62

49 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.