"The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" error after Windows10 installation

After the automatic (and unwanted) windows10 installation, I got an alert that the there is a problem in the windows defender and that I should enable something.

When getting into it, it opened the windows defender menu and when tring to start real-time-protection - there was an error pop-up which says "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation".

How bad is it? Why does it accur? How can I fix this issue? And, is it safe to return to Windows7 this way?

Thanks!

[Moved from Windows]

|
Answer
Answer

Hi Hannah,

The above issue may occur if you have another antivirus security software installed or the services to the application is set inappropriately on the PC. Sometimes, simply restarting the PC will resolve the above issue.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. Have you installed any other antivirus security software apart from Windows Defender on your PC?

2. Did you check if the Windows Defender services Startup type is set to Automatic in the Services page?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Uninstall any other antivirus security software installed on the PC and check if the issue is resolved. If the issue persists, reboot the PC, run Windows Defender software and check if the scan is complete without any error message/error code interrupting the scan sequence.

Method 2: If the issue persists, check if Windows Defender services Startup type is set to Automatic by following the steps below:

1. Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Services and select the top most search result.

2. From the window locate Windows Defender Service and check if Status shows Running and the Startup Type is set to Automatic.

3. If not set, double click on the service and select from the drop down bar Automatic under Startup type and Service status to Running.

4. Click on Apply and OK.

5. Check if the changes are effective after closing the window.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2021 Views 9,644 Applies to: