Question

Creator Update turned off Windows Defender Real-Time Protection & it can't restart

GJ41417 asked on

Microsoft remotely installed the Windows 10 Creator Update on my HP Pavilion 15-p000 CTO laptop starting 11:50 pm Thursday April 13, 2017. After the install, I ran a Windows Defender full scan, leaving it to run overnight (laptop was connected to utility power). In the morning, power light was on but laptop was unresponsive; this is typical, even though I have tried to disable "sleep mode" (sleep mode never works). Pressing power button five seconds turned laptop off. This evening, I powered up the laptop, which took almost two minutes to display the login screen. I ran Firefox browser to get some tax information. Soon Windows displayed a warning that Windows Defender is disabled. I shut down Firefox and brought up Windows Defender, then tried to restart Real-Time Protection. After a while, a popup window announced "Real-time protection couldn't be turned on. This operation returned because the timeout period expired. Error code 0x800705b4". I did another full shutdown, waited a minute, and restarted; immediately went to Windows Defender, same result. Without anti-virus protection, I don't dare use the laptop online -- but that is what I use it for. The Creator Update has bricked my laptop.

The laptop came from the HP Store in November 2014 with Windows 8, and automatic remote upgrade to Windows 8.1. I took advantage of the free remote upgrade to Windows 10 Home when it became available. The laptop has never had any other anti-virus software installed than Windows Defender.

Intel Core i5-4210U processor, 12 GB RAM, Intel HD graphics, touch screen. 

17 people had this question

Abuse history

progress