Windows Defender's "Controlled Folder Access" feature is permanently off

Just updated to Win 10 ver 1709  (fall creators update) and I find that the Windows Defender  -> Settings -> Virus & Threat Detection -> Virus and Threat Detection Settings -> Controlled Folder Access feature is grayed out in the "off" position.  I tried to activate this feature using the Group Policy editor per instructions on a couple of helpful sounding web sites but there was no change; even after rebooting Windows. Net result is this feature can't be used.

Side note: the Real Time Protection switch is likewise grayed out in the off position. 

Second side note: My main antivirus  is Symantec Security Suite. I tried temporarily disabling it to see if the gray-out went away. It didn't.

Any useful advice VERY welcome!!

Kind regards,

Lenny W

**Moved from:  Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy **

Answer
Answer

This is by design, since folder monitoring requires Defender’s on-access (real-time) protection. So you can’t enable Controlled folder access when you have a third-party AV app installed and Windows Defender is running in its Limited Periodic Scanning (on-demand) mode. This new feature is only available when Windows Defender’s is running in a standalone configuration, and its real-time protection is turned on, as indicated in the Requirements section of this documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/controlled-folders-exploit-guard

GreginMich

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2020 Views 3,095 Applies to: