Question

Q: Windows Defender will not turn on in Windows 10

I know this problem has been posted in the past, but please believe me when I say I have tried every single solution yet I sitll cannot get Defender to turn on!!!

I have run the removal tools for McAfee ( pre-installed) and BitDefender, which I thought I would try out.

I have been through the regedit steps, permissions etc etc etc.

There must be something I have missed. Defender will turn on briefly but i get a dialog box telling me it is turned off because I am using another program, even though I'm not. I don't have a lot of hair, so I can't keep pulling out what I have left.

Can someone please help solve this?

I am running Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire ES15 series, if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

Thanks for the reply. I have gone through every single step on every link posted and still the problem persists. There must be a simple step I am missing somewhere. This is driving me nuts. Defender turns on then turns off 10 seconds later. Nothing, and I mean nothing, seems to solve this problem

Sorry this didn't help.

It's possible there's still something remaining of one of those AV apps. Have you checked your installed programs and startup applications, to see if there's anything that may be part of either AV app? If you want, I can check them out. If so, would you please install CCleaner

Create a new (temporary) folder on your desktop. Just name it CCleaner files, or whatever. Then Open CCleaner. Under Tools - Startup tab, choose "Save to text file" on bottom right. Save it into that folder. Next, under Uninstall tab, do the same thing. .

Then post those text files in 2 separate replies to me. One in each reply window. Indicate Startups and Programs accordingly at the top.

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------
Please let us know if your problem was resolved. It'd be much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

I want to thank everyone who posted possible solutions to this. I have decided to forego Defender and use AVG free, as I did with my previous laptop.

CarolLJ, thanks for your willingness to help, but I really have had enough of installing and cleaning etc.

Once again, thanks all.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

You're welcome, Darren. I totally understand! Thank you for posting back to let us know.
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------
Please let us know if your problem was resolved. It'd be much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Reply In reply to deleted message
thanks for helping me but let I rest for now an tomorrow will be a better day let the browser do it work an maybe find it way home . what else can I do now

Sorry this didn't help.

cu5e#6y)7 replied:

thanks for helping me but let I rest for now an tomorrow will be a better day let the browser do it work an maybe find it way home . what else can I do now

Do you have this exact problem?

Windows Defender will not turn on in Windows 10                     

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem and CCcleaner claims I have 1045 registry issues.  Is CCcleaner reliable enough to fix them?

Sorry this didn't help.

Don- i have this exact same problem and CCcleaner found 1045 errors in the registry (kids probably downloading games!).  Is CCcleaner reliable enough to fix the issue/remove the errors?

Sorry this didn't help.

my window upgrade is activated now

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,289 Last updated: May 15, 2018 Applies to: