Is windows 10 defender and firewall good enough?

I currently updated to windows 10, I used to have Kaspersky, but the license expired. Now I see I have windows defender and firewall. Are this good enough to keep my computer protected on the internet (sites, emails, Facebook) and safe from viruses and stuff from flash drives? Or should I get a stronger protection? Is there a webpage that could tell me what does windows defender actually defend me from? Thank you for your time
|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Rob,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We understand that the license of your Kaspersky antivirus has expired and you would like to know about Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

I request you to refer the following links that will help you understand about Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

Windows Firewall from start to finish

Windows Defender is good enough to keep the computer safe from viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted  software.

Using Windows Defender

(All applicable for Windows 10)

I hope this helps. If you have any further query, feel free to post. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Great! Thanks! Very helpful! I just have two last questions: 1. Can I run a scan on flash drives with Windows defender?

2. Will Windows defender update on its own? Or do I need to check for updates daily?

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Update takes care of updating Windows Defender along with other Microsoft services and applications automatically. Updating Windows Defender does not require system restart.

Windows Defender includes Real-Time Protection (RTP). Real-Time Protection (RTP) continuously monitors your computer and scans everything you download or run on your PC. You don't feel it when it is workings in the back round. It pops up only to inform you when it finds malware or when some action is required from you.

However, you can use Windows Defender anytime to scan for malware if your computer is not working properly or if you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message.

When you access any file on your computer or download it form Internet, Windows Defender RTP checks that file before it opens or executes. Therefore, you don't need to scan the container folder or driver before you open it. However, you can use custom scan to scan specific folders and/or drivers.

To scan specific folders and/or drivers:

1- Open Windows Defender.

2- In the main page (Home) select "Custom" option from "Scan options" pane (appears in the right side)

3- Click on "Scan now" button.

4- From a popup window appears, select the drivers and folders you want to scan.

47 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I currently updated to windows 10, I used to have Kaspersky, but the license expired. Now I see I have windows defender and firewall. Are this good enough to keep my computer protected on the internet (sites, emails, Facebook) and safe from viruses and stuff from flash drives? Or should I get a stronger protection? Is there a webpage that could tell me what does windows defender actually defend me from? Thank you for your time

You did not mark any reply as your favorite answer, seems that you still confused what to do and what is your best choice. I think you're right. According to my study and reading since Windows 10 is released, I have shared my knowledge and posted my conclusions as a discussion thread. Read it and maybe it will help you to make your decision.

Windows 10 Windows Defender vs Other Third-Party Security Tools - Equitable Comparison

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated June 9, 2021 Views 18,885 Applies to: