"Actions needed in Norton AntiVirus Online." error

Greetings,

Windows Defender Security Center is giving me an error in Firewall & network protection, saying "Actions needed in Norton AntiVirus Online." There is a link to open Norton Antivirus Online. However, when I open Norton Antivirus, it shows as everything being turned on, including Browsing and Browsing Protection. How can I find out what is causing this error?

Thanks,

Shane.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2019 Views 2,375 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings - am also experiencing the same issue (red x on the FireWall and Network protection icon in the Windows Defender Security Center).  The link under the icon reads "Open Norton Antivirus".    For my PC the link doesn't open Norton Antivirus "online" --- rather it opens Norton Antivirus on the local computer.  As Shane reported, when Norton Antivirus opens (locally for me), there is a dashboard that shows all components as being protected with no items to address.   I visited both links suggested by Jsssssssss, none of these addressed the issue (directly at least).  Realize those links are also where one can post queries and have not yet done as such.   I would think the issue is actually with Defender, not Norton since Norton application locally is not indicating any issue, but rather Windows Defender is where the negative message is being displayed.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. As near as I can tell this began 3 or 4 days ago.
It is the Windows Action Center that shows an "Action Needed" icon in the taskbar. When I open WAC, it shows action needed regarding Firewall Protection in the Domain Network, the Public Network & Private Network, with a link to open Norton Antivirus.
Opening NAV shows NO problems, Norton is running and protecting correctly.
Found a link on Norton.com addressing the issue. 
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v81754387_EndUserProfile_en_us
I ran the Live Update as requested, and restarted my laptop as requested but the alert remains.
My Norton is running correctly and protecting correctly so I am not going to worry about this any more.  I think this is Windows Defender reporting a problem. Wndows Defender is supposed to turn itself off when another antivirus program is detected. 
I would think an upcoming update from NAV or perhaps Microsoft will address this. 

No question is stupid.
Especially where Windows is concerned.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. As near as I can tell this began 3 or 4 days ago.
It is the Windows Action Center that shows an "Action Needed" icon in the taskbar. When I open WAC, it shows action needed regarding Firewall Protection in the Domain Network, the Public Network & Private Network, with a link to open Norton Antivirus.
Opening NAV shows NO problems, Norton is running and protecting correctly.
Found a link on Norton.com addressing the issue. 
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v81754387_EndUserProfile_en_us
I ran the Live Update as requested, and restarted my laptop as requested but the alert remains.
My Norton is running correctly and protecting correctly so I am not going to worry about this any more.  I think this is Windows Defender reporting a problem. Wndows Defender is supposed to turn itself off when another antivirus program is detected. 
I would think an upcoming update from NAV or perhaps Microsoft will address this. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to chime in because I am receiving the same message as Shane above. WAC says actions needed- leads to Windows Defender Security Center- states that "Actions needed in Norton Internet Security".

EXCEPT one important difference: I do NOT have Norton installed. To my knowledge, this machine has NEVER had Norton installed, unless it came with a free trial. I have a paid subscription to F-Secure Antivirus. I have checked and do not see any mention of Norton under installed apps.

I have not tried to click on the Actions needed link.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to chime in because I am receiving the same message as Shane above. WAC says actions needed- leads to Windows Defender Security Center- states that "Actions needed in Norton Internet Security".

EXCEPT one important difference: I do NOT have Norton installed. To my knowledge, this machine has NEVER had Norton installed, unless it came with a free trial. I have a paid subscription to F-Secure Antivirus. I have checked and do not see any mention of Norton under installed apps.

I have not tried to click on the Actions needed link.

Most new computers come with a trial version of McAfee or Norton on the computer. Occasionally remnants of long ago removed programs can inexplicably cause issues.

You might want to run the Norton Removal Tool and see if that eliminates the message. List of anti-malware product removal tools

Be sure you reboot the computer after running the tool.

Regards...

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/01/27/top-10-ways-pups-sneak-onto-your-computer-and-how-to-avoid-them/

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My Norton updated a couple days ago,  some kind of patch, and it corrected the problem. 

I ran Live Update several times in a row and the patch was installed,  I restarted my laptop and MAC stopped reporting the error. 

Norton was obviously aware of the problem. 

No question is stupid.
Especially where Windows is concerned.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

kako da ocistim svoj racunar.zaboravio sam glavnu lozinku .

Sorry this didn't help.

problem cured itself, after a couple of restarts all disappeared 

Sorry this didn't help.

Follow the steps on this link:

First verify if you have installed the current version of Norton Security.

If the program says "YES", you will need to run a live update.

After running the live update, Norton will ask you if you would like to apply a patch now.

After applying the patch, there's no more action needed in Norton Security according to Windows 10.

Finally!

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.