Windows Defender

I can not turn it on , keeps blocking can i do it myself manually . 

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2019 Views 6,772 Applies to:
The inability to turn on Windows Defender 8/10 is typically the result of having a third-party anti-virus installed or failure to remove it properly (completely). Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it is disabled during the installation of another anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, Windows Defender will be turned off (disabled). Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts. Windows Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants.

After removal of the third party anti-virus, Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus Defender should automatically turn itself on but sometimes you may receive a message indicating your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

If that is not the case in your situation, check to make sure the Windows Defender service is started.

Sometimes it may take a couple of computer reboots after performing the above steps to ensure Windows Defender is up and running properly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2019
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Michael,

Are you running Vista or Windows 8/10 ?

`~`

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

10 August 2016 - My PC would not shut down except by switching off the electric power. subsequently I have just experienced two days of a crashed system - Office 2007 on Windows 10, on a Dell desk PC. I started Windows Defender at 5am this morning. It scanned for 8 hours and then froze after 2.2 million files, about 1/3rd of the distance - it was churning but made no further progress. I tried to do Systems Restore which has always been successful in the past - since 1987 - 29 years. System Restore went into a loop and though appearing to be churning away it would not proceed. Microsoft Recovery Support (Assure Subscription) took over my machine and applied their Diagnostic Tool - which also churned away but made no progress. A second team member took on the task and did do a Systems Restore back to the 15th July. This completed at 4 pm - just as I was losing the will to live. BUT, there was no cursor on screen and my back-up USB disk could not be accessed. All functions eventually came back - hooray - BUT my many days of work in WORD and POWER POINT is lost from 15th July to date - My Documents have been affected and are not restored beyond 15 July. This would have been a huge loss to me, except that I had made a copy on a USB stick, stored well away from the PC  and had emailed a "latest" copy to myself and  to a friend. SYSTEMS RESTORE still works but DOES NOT retain work after the restore date. It always used to. DEFENDER seems to be compromised and stops at about 1/3rd of its scan.  BEWARE OF LOSING WORK.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no other antivirus programs that would be interfering. I can manually turn wd on but as soon as I shut the computer off it turns off again and I have to manually turn it on again. I am unable to switch it from manual to automatic. How do I do this?

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We need more information with regards on enabling Windows Defender by providing the following:

• What is your current operating system?
  • How did you set up Windows Defender?
  • When did the issue occur?

We are looking forward to your response.

Regards.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.