Windows Defender: Your PC Could Not Be Scanned.

When I run a scan on my computer with Windows Defender everytime its just about down scanning an error screen pops up and says, "Your PC Could Not Be Scanned." And under that is says, "Some history Items could not be displayed. Please wait a few minutes and try again. If that doesn't work, clear the history and then try again." I cleared the history and nothing still that message still pops up? Help?

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2019 Views 1,697 Applies to:

Since when this problem started?

Do you have any other Anti-Virus software installed?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

SAME THING..brand new pc....all updates done when setup...moved data only files from old pc that was also covered by defender...installed office 2016 direct from msft and just ran a scan and got the same response.   That was with a quickscan...tried it twice. Then went back and did a full scan...same result...just took a lot longer to get there.  Checked my definitions...updated at 548edt with version 1.229.545.0.   no exclusions.  Nothing in any history to clear.  All win10 updates installed.  Stumped but now defender has the yellow triangle with the exclamation point....   Did uninstall mcafee which came with the on startup....  no other antivirus/spyware/malware installed besides defender.  error code is 0x8050800d...

looked up error code and said to look for remnants of uninstalled antivirus...sure enough mcaffee was still there in places and would not uninstall clean with windows 10.  Used suggested Revo and cleaned the rest of it out.  Noticed an update to defender came thru at 1153...1.229.596.0 as well.  Still getting same error code on a quick scan.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar experience about 8 hours after reinstalling Norton Anti-virus.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since when this problem started?

Do you have any other Anti-Virus software installed?

Well, I literally bought this computer last week, it started when I deleted McAfee Antivirus Free Trial. Currently, the only Antivirus I have on my computer is just Microsoft Defender.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. I did originally install AVG Free but have uninstalled this now. Also I have tried to uninstall the MacAfee that came with the laptop. I have cleared history as suggested and still get the same message for a full or quick scan. Windows Defender is still saying 'PC Status: Potentially unprotected' which is a concern. Can you help please?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing happened to my brand new work dell machine. There is a simple fix.

The cause of this issue as some of you may have guessed is McAfee. Even after uninstalling an antivirus program there are always remnants left behind. Fortunately for the non tech savvy who will not be able to confidently remove the files manually, the developers have made a simple program to clean up so called remnants left over from uninstalling their software.

Head over to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool/ and download MCPR tool (MacAfee consumer product removal tool. Run the program and then let it clear your PC of the left over files. Then follow the prompt to restart your PC and you should be good to go.

You will now be able to run windows defender or any other antivirus program you wish to install.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I would think that MacAfee would put this on their own site.

Sorry this didn't help.