Windows Defender turns off randomly

Lately, it happens quite often that Windows Defender turns off randomly, without any warning. When I access this application, I find it red and disabled, with the statement "Your PC isn't monitored because the app's service stopped. You should restart it now" ( image https://www.dropbox.com/s/urnjykzno8g6cry/defender%20stopped%2001.jpg?dl=0 ). I click the "Start now" button, and then another statement appears "Real-time protection is turned off. You should turn it on" ( image https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpn7n8igk5qneld/defender%20stopped%2002.jpg?dl=0 ). After I click the "Turn on" button and wait a short while, Windows Defender turns green and says that everything is OK. Later, when I check this application, quite often I find it disabled again and I have to do again the operations described above. This is very annoying because I am not sure anymore that my computer is really protected, and so I am forced to periodically check the status of Windows Defender in order to re-enable it when I find it disabled. This application should stay ON and let me do my work without any disturbances, being confident that my computer is really protected.

My only security applications are Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. These two applications never interfered, so there should be no trouble about their simultaneous presence on my computer. Both security applications do not report any infections after full scanning. I checked for other antivirus software on my computer, but I did not find any.

What could be wrong and how can it be solved?

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2019 Views 4,374 Applies to:
Answer

@ MPUrsu

Windows Defender stays on and I did not catch it any more being turned off for quite a long time, so it seems that my problem has been solved by uninstalling the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.

As I asked before, I should NOT use any other anti-malware software at all? Does Windows Defender deal with these threats all by itself?

You said that you use(d) the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware MBAM.

That is perfectly fine and will NOT interfere with Windows Defender. It must have been some kind of strange coincidence that your WD suddenly started working after you uninstalled free MBAM.

As you already suspected, neither WD nor any other Anti-Virus product will catch each and every kind of malware. Therefore I recommend and suggest to install the free version of MBAM again, and to run once in a while a scan with it.

See: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

And See SECTION 3, Point 1 + 2:  Frequently Asked Questions and General Concerns in this Wiki

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

J

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Windows Defender stays on and I did not catch it any more being turned off for quite a long time, so it seems that my problem has been solved by uninstalling the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.

As I asked before, I should NOT use any other anti-malware software at all? Does Windows Defender deal with these threats all by itself?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.