How do you scan a file in Windows 8

I am wondering how to scan a file in Windows 8.   In Windows 7 you could right click on the file and scan the file with security essentials.   I looked on the internet and it says to open defender to scan the file that way.    Why did Microsoft take out the option to scan files and folders when you right click on it.   I am starting to think I should have stayed with Windows 7

Question Info

Last updated September 3, 2018 Views 12,699 Applies to:
Answer

A quick method is:

Create a .cmd file in an easily accessible folder, for example MpScan.cmd, containing:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1
 PAUSE

Create a shortcut to this .cmd file on the Desktop

When you want to virus check a file just drag and drop it over the shortcut icon just created

A Command box will appear, scan is performed and reported, and the PAUSE command stops the command box disappearing before result can be read.
Press Enter to continue

Hope this helps

Beats me why MS removed the Right click facility, when they are emphasising security

in Win 8

David

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Thanks David.
I used your idea but saved saved the file as Windows Defender.bat in my (hidden) SendTo folder ( C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo folder)
Doing this allows you to right click on any file and select "Send To" >> "Windows Defender"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.