defender won't do a quick scan

as "group or resource not in correct state" - what am i supposed to do?

i have never done a scan with defender before

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2019 Views 1,032 Applies to:
windows defender won't let me do a quickscan

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the same thing happen and it asked me t do all updates and that some parts were missing. I tried several times, then Binged it and came here to find nothing. I always do a CCleaner Registry clean and then a normal clean after monthly updates. I also save the old registry when asked by CCleaner. I decided to try restoring the registry first by going to documents and double clicking on the last saved registry dated to day, and that fixed defender.

I had CCleaner registry cleaner mess up another system a few months back by not allowing me to click on hot links in my MS Office 2010 Outlook which we use for mail here. Instead of opening the link it told me I did not have permission for that. I restored the last registry clean and it fixed that one too. That was on a Dell 2720 All In One with an i7, 8GB of RAM, and a 32 GB SSD in front of a 2 TB rust drive.

Just navigate to where you saved them and look for the one with that day's date like today I looked there for this:

"cc_20150705_225837"

Double click on the one with today's date and then check. It fixed mine, a ASUS T200 with the 64 bit Windows 10 upgrade and anniversary update, it has 64GB of SSD, and 4GB of RAM running the Atom Z-3795 processor.

Hope that helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

as "group or resource not in correct state" - what am i supposed to do?

i have never done a scan with defender before

That "strange message" is usually (but not always) a transient error that is sometimes accompanied by error code 0x8007139F.

Restart the computer and that should fix it though some users report a manual update of Windows Defender followed by a reboot may also be required.

Alternatively - - -

Some users report seeing this error if a previous security program (or remnants of a previous security program) are still installed. See Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

and be sure you run the appropriate software removal tools for your previous antimalware program and then reboot the computer: List of anti-malware product removal tools

If you cannot resolve the issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank-You Le Boule!

Works fine now.

Great tip!

Sorry this didn't help.