Cannot turn on Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 after uninstalling Kaspersky

I'm wondering if I need to use the Kaspersky uninstall removal tool. I uninstalled it through Programs, but am wondering if "remnants" of it are preventing Defender from turning on. I've already tried the tips about manually starting it through command prompt and going through the Action Center. Tried to reinstall Defender, but it wouldn't, as it's already installed, but won't turn on.

Any thoughts out there? I'm trying to do this for an elderly lady. Very frustrating!!

Thanks,

Chris

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2019 Views 125 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Okay, so I ended up running various uninstall removal tools, deleted the Kaspersky folder from the registry, tried restarting, stopping, and starting Defender through services, and ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes (Mbam found 1620 PUPs). Rebooted after each action. Defender still would NOT start. 

I decided I would refresh her OS (after backing up her data to a flash drive), but it wouldn't work! There was a message about her contract not allowing it. ??? 

So my friend had purchased McAfee, which she was going to return if I could get Defender turned on. I was giving up. There was a 25-character product code, and I had entered 20, when I decided to try Defender one more time, and IT WORKED!!! 

What a pain it was, but I was very glad to get it turned on and updated. The moral of the story is: throw EVERYTHING at it. Something's bound to stick. :)

Thanks for your guidance, LeBoule! I feel you folks always have my back!

Chris

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.