Windows Security Center says my anitvirus (MSE) is turned off but MSE says it is up and running. All is green. Why do I get this message?

Dell Vostro 400
Quad Core Intel processor
500 GB hard drive
3GB ram
 I get a  message from  Windows Security Center telling me that my antivirus is turned OFF (MSE). When I open MES it is ON and all green.
Dell Tech Concierge monitors the system and it "ppears" there are two versions of MSE: 2.1.6805.0 and 4.2.0223.0 in the system. Uninstalling MSE using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel  and reinstalling did not solve the problem. Any clues?

Kokaloiatros

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 622 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

If your MSE icon is green then you should be protected...you can verify that MSE is working by checking it with Eicar if you wish to do so:http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html

Open MSE, click the Settings tab, select Real-Time Protection, and clear the check box for “Turn on real-time protection”. Click on "Save Changes." Reboot the computer. Turn on Real Time Protection and save changes. Reboot the computer.

That should synch XP Security Center with MSE.

OR

If this is a new or recent install see the following:

What operating system and service pack? MSE requires XP (32 bit version only) with SP3 installed, Vista or Win 7…

Prior Security Software?   What about a trial version of an antivirus program that was pre-installed when the computer was purchased? McAfee, Norton, Trend Micro?  If you reformatted/reinstalled the operating system did you also reinstall a trial version of a security program?

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC.  Be sure you have removed  all other security software from the PC.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

Recommend you thoroughly review Microsoft Security Essentials – Installation Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions

Regards...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.