Microsoft Security Essentials : When i try to update virus and spyware difinitions i get this__message:

virus and spyware definitions status connection failed Security Essentials could not complete the virus and spyware definition update on 1/27/11 due to an Internet or network connectivity issue. click help for more information about this problem. 

my last updates ended on dec 31/2010  

Answer
Answer

“Connection failed” message also occursbecause of incorrect internet proxy settings so follows the steps mentioned below to reset the proxy settings.

1. Click onVista Start Button

2. Go toAll Programs -> Accessories

3. Now right click onCommand Prompt and select “Run as Administrator” from context menu.

4. This should bringelevated command prompt mode with full Administrators rights.

5. Now in the Command prompt (Black Screen) Typethe following:

NETSH WINHTTP RESET PROXY

(Note: There are three spaces in the entire command which is important)

7. Press the ENTER keyon your keyboard.

8. Close the CMDand Restart the computer

9. Try to update Microsoft Security Essentials.

If the update still fails download the MSE updates from the following link and install.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342&clcid=0x409for 32-bit computer

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87341&clcid=0x409for 64-bit computer

<If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Propose as Answer" If you find it helpful , mark it as helpful by clicking on "Vote as Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster>

Thameem

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2020 Views 12,589 Applies to: