I get this error code 0x80010105 and it says virus and spyware definitions failed check your internet or network connection and try again. I have run app remover to check for past virus protectors on the system. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled
mse a couple of times. When I install mse it loads the up to date virus protection but will not let you do it again without this error. It also says something about unable to turn firewall on at end of mse install even though when I check it is on. Not sure
what the question at the bottom beta or non beta means I answered it beta. My computer is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. Any help would be really appreciated.
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
My windows update and microsoft essentials updates will not work. Windows update says website encountered a problem and cannot update the page error code 0x80070715. Essentials update gives me a message that virus and definitions update failed check
internet or network connection error code 0x80248011. I have windows xp service pack 3. i have tried the fix it windows update scan and it finds two issues but cannot fix them. Any help in resolving these will be greatly appreciated. [SOURCE]
Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):
Select Properties: What is the Created date displayed on the resulting
1c. What MSE version is currently installed? To find out, open MSE & click on the downward-pointing arrow to the right of HELP then select ABOUT SECURITY ESSENTIALS.
2. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?
3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?
4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
5. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is checked (and leave it checked); then select the
Name option in the Sort by box on the right. Now scroll down & tell me if ALL of the following updates are listed? 
7. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?
8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor;
TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner)?
9. Have you ever had occasion to do a
Repair Install or a clean install of WinXP for any reason?