error code 0x80010105

I get this error code 0x80010105 and it says virus and spyware definitions failed check your internet or network connection and try again. I have run app remover to check for past virus protectors on the system. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled mse a couple of times. When I install mse it loads the up to date virus protection but will not let you do it again  without this error. It also says something about unable to turn firewall on at end of mse install even though when I check it is on.  Not sure what the question at the bottom beta or non beta means I answered it beta. My computer is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3.  Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2018 Views 23,097 Applies to:
Answer

Beta is the test version of MSE, which you don't have.

This error is a Windows Update error, which appears to suggest that the Windows Update Agent is broken.

You can try:

Reset the Windows Update components -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971058?p=1 - run the FixIt to reset the Windows update components.

You can manually download the (large file with engine and full definitions) latest definitions from the portal here:https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx

-steve

^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
My windows update and microsoft essentials updates will not work. Windows update says website encountered a problem and cannot update the page error code 0x80070715. Essentials update gives me a message that virus and definitions update failed check internet or network connection error code 0x80248011. I have windows xp service pack 3. i have tried the fix it windows update scan and it finds two issues but cannot fix them. Any help in resolving these will be greatly appreciated.  [SOURCE]

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1a. Was Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) originally offered & installed via Windows Update or did you intentionally choose to install it?

1b. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client <=this folder

Select Properties: What is the Created date displayed on the resulting General tab?

1c. What MSE version is currently installed?  To find out, open MSE & click on the downward-pointing arrow to the right of HELP then select ABOUT SECURITY ESSENTIALS.

2. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is checked (and leave it checked); then select the Name option in the Sort by box on the right. Now scroll down & tell me if ALL of the following updates are listed? [1]

(a) KB2698365, KB2718523 [or KB2709162], KB2691442, KB2719985, KB2655992 & KB2719985 or possibly KB2721691;

(b) KB2699988, KB2685939 & KB2707511;

(c) KB2676562, KB2659262, KB2686509, KB2695962 & KB2718704;

(d) KB2653956; KB2661637, KB2598479, KB2631813 & KB2585542;

(e) KB2393802 and especially Update for Windows XP (KB971029).

Most will be displayed as Security Update for Windows XP followed by the KB number in parentheses.

If IE8 is installed, one (1) will be displayed as Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 followed by the KB number in parentheses.

6. What Java version is currently installed?  TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (only!)=> http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

7. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner)?

9. Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install or a clean install of WinXP for any reason?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related references may include:

Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials
http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bf757e6a-e320-4a67-92bc-767e6acb26c4

Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected computer?
http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275

==============================================================
[1] All but one (1) of the updates in #4a were released yesterday (i.e., 11 July 2012).

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.