error code: 0x80004002 when updating

Hello!

I need some help please. I downloaded MSE a few weeks ago and when trying to update I recieved error code: 0x80004002. My date and time is right and I cannot manually download the definitions.

However when I first downloaded it I somehow randomly got it to update after many failed atempts and visiting the MSE website(it just started updating out of nowhere).

That one time was the only time it updated. I removed the program and readded it today but it still won't update. So would anyone know what to do?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated December 8, 2018 Views 3,378 Applies to:
Answer

Verify that you have removed all other realtime antimalware products that were ever installed on your PC, including free/trial product that were installed when the PC was purchased (Norton, McAfee, TM, AVG, etc). Use the removal tools here:

List of anti-malware program cleanup/uninstall tools

If you just updated Adobe Flash, you may have inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scanner.  Verify that it is not present.

Verify that Windows Defender is uninstalled (if XP), or Disabled (if Vista/W7).

Verify that you are up-to-date with patches and service packs.

Verify that your PC clock is correctly set.

Verify that you are using build 1961 of MSE (as of April 2010).

Verify that the Windows Firewall is on, and set to defaults.  Remove Zone Alarm if you have it and use the Windows Firewall.

In IE, reset all security zones to default level.

Then, restart your PC.

If the problem persists, submit a support case to Microsoft:  https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/?scrx=1

Doc

Computers verified since 1972

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.