Microsoft Security Essentials Update Definition Number 1.249.211.0 Keeps On Coming Back

Operating System:    Windows 7

Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

I am facing a weird issue with Microsoft Security Essentials' automatic updates that happens through automatic 'Windows Update'.

This particular update, Definition 1.249.211.0, keeps on coming back, again and again.

1.249.211.0 was released by Microsoft on July 25, 2017.

This update was installed on my PC on July 26, 2017.

Since then, I have installed all of the Windows Updates for Microsoft Security Essentials.

However, starting August 18, 2017, this 1.249.211.0 weirdly started appearing again after my daily check for Windows Updates. I have installed this 1.249.211.0 more than a few times since that day. But it keeps coming back.

Meaning, if I install 1.249.211.0, and then if I check for Windows Update immediately after, it returns the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials again. Then if I install the latest version and check for new Windows Update, 1.249.211.0 comes back again.

This keeps occurring as a recurring deadlock / infinite loop.

Hopefully someone at Microsoft could take a look at this issue or provide me a solution.

Screen Shots:

July 26 Install of 1.249.211.0

1.249.211.0 Infinite Loop Issue

Answer
Answer

I do not know if the trouble is with Microsoft Security Essentials or the Windows Update Installer or something else entirely, but when I hid the troublesome 1.249.211.0 MSE definition the problem was solved.  All definition updates have successfully installed themselves since August 21, 2017.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

My problems started last night with Definition 1.249.211.0 AFTER I installed a updated version of MSE from Windows Updates. 1.249.211.0 kept reappearing under Updates and after I installed it then it would show me the latest update that was actually installed. I had no time to play around with it but I did this morning and have a solution that worked for me.

I uninstalled and reinstalled MSE but still had the problem of 1.249.211.0 showing up under Windows Update. If I installed it would immediately give me the latest update and then the next lower one and so on. For instance 1.251.34.0 a which was the latest and then 1.251.28.0 then 1.251.1.0 There has NEVER been a different AV program installed so after exhausting ALL options I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter.

I hate doing that, it is almost a sign of defeat.

Anyway that took care of the problem. There is some bug in the latest version of MSE offered through Updates, it was a 25MB download so it wasn't a AV definition. That's when the problems started and the only fix was: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter  

I now have 1.251.34.0 installed and am NOT being offered 1.249.211.0 anymore.

I hope this helps. Its a bug with the latest engine definition in MSE. Run the fix it tool, save it to your desktop and run it. In about 5 minutes my system was back to normal OR you can wait for MS to fix it.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 23, 2019 Views 6,670 Applies to: