WinPatrol along with MSE and Malwarebytes Free

Can I run WinPatrol along with MSE and Malwarebytes Free that I currently usae?
Answer
Answer

Hi Jerry,

Absolutely.  I've been doing so for years without problems - actually with fewer problems because of it since it alerted me to start-up additions before doing them (or just doing them with no alert unless you periodically check start-up with MSCONFIG or Autoruns (which while better in some ways, I tend to ignore in favor of WinPatrol unless I really need detailed information and it doesn't offer real-time help)).

But that's just part of the story.  It's really more a productivity tool than a security tool,

AV software real-time protection and scans are pretty much the last line of defense against malware and other infections prior to infection and then dealing with removal. The vast majority are caused by users and user habits (doing things or not doing things). I've been using MSE since it was released and though it missed a couple, my process caught those and removed them before I became truly infected. I can't remember the last time I was actually truly infected by anything (and that goes back to other products before MSE was even available). Considering that I sometimes violate the rules I've listed here and have to download the eiger test file to even test if MSE is working because I go months with nothing detected, that's a pretty good testimonial for MSE. When I read about infections on systems using MSE, I just simply don't understand how it is happening when I see nothing on my computer. 

Let's spend a moment on security in general.

Because my work entails more risks than the average user, I do more things more frequently than most would need. However, some of this might help (you could reduce the number or the frequency) and some of it applies to everyone (especially the bold section):

Here's what I do (and it isn't 100% but nothing is, and in some cases only catches things after they've already gotten into the system, but it's a good process while remaining reasonable and they can all work together - as proven by the fact that I use them):

I use MSE for real-time protection and run scheduled daily quick scans with a scheduled bi-weekly full scan.

I update and periodically (every couple of weeks or so) run full scans with Malwarebytes:http://www.malwarebytes.org/and SuperAntiSpyware: http://superantispyware.com/ and ESET online scanner:http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner Get only the free versions. Any that also have paid versions include features like real-time protection that cannot be used along with MSE anyway (in these cases), so there's no point in spending the money anyway.

I use WOT http://www.mywot.com/en/download to help identify safe and dangerous web sites.

I use Secunia PSI http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ to make sure all my programs are updated and current (since updates often plug security holes in the software and thus can be important as many people never check and/or update their software unless prompted - and this way I don't need to check everything since notifications and sometimes updates are automatic).

I always follow the following advice from Stephen Boots - MVP:

-Make sure that the Windows Firewall is enabled. No other firewall truly offers better protection or is needed. This one is perfectly fine.

-Make sure that all important/critical updates, including service packs for the operating system and programs are installed from Microsoft Update (Windows Update).

-Make sure Internet Explorer is at version 8 or 9 and updated with all patches.

-In Internet Explorer 8 or 9, use the SmartScreen Filter.

-Make sure that IE Internet Security settings are at least set to medium-high (default).

-Enable the pop-up blocker in IE.

-On Vista and Windows 7 make sure that User Account Control (UAC) ON and not running with elevated privileges.

-Make sure that Windows Automatic Updates are set to at least notify, but the preferred setting is to download and install automatically. If you update manually, be sure to update as soon as possible after being notified of available updates.

-Make sure that installed applications, especially Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Flash, and Java are at their latest versions. Many vendors are regularly updating and patching for security holes.Secunia PSI mentioned above can help automate this a lot.

-Never click through links from unknown sources and use caution even if they are from a "trusted" source.

-Never open unsolicited email attachments.

-Practice safe web browsing. No adult sites, no peer-to-peer file sharing sites, no sites offering cracks or free software that you know can't be true, lockdown Facebook to only Friends on EVERYTHING, use WOT mentioned above, use Task Manager to close all open instances of your browsers if you ever get a suspicious pop-up {as opposed to clicking the red button or Cancel to close it which could be all it takes to infect you as they may have other code than just what those things commonly do}, double check all links in browsers and emails by hovering over them or otherwise checking to see if what they say and where they say they are directed match what is really there {many scams saywww.microsoft.com or user @ microsoft.com but turn out to really be www.youarehosedbecauseyouclickedthis.ru and when you click you find out why that's the name} and I could go on but you get the idea.

-Always use a standard user account unless you have a specific need for an administrator account. Then switch, do the administrative task, and return to the standard account. This greatly limits the access of any type of infection of intrusion into your system since administrative access isn’t in place.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Kosh

MVP(7/2012-6/2015),MCSE,MCSA,MCC2011,xCMM,xCAM,A+,Net+,Security Expert, xInfluencer. See Profile.

W10Prox64 Fast 16299rs3; Ofc Insider 1710/8613.1000; Edge,IE11,Chrome.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 1,274 Applies to: