Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials From Windows 10 After An Upgrade

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

There have been several reports of the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials installed has left MSE on the machine and disabled Defender. The uninstall procedures for MSE do not appear to work.

See this Wiki article:  Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials

This article contains information that may help if MSE was not removed during the upgrade to Windows 10.
Details

Windows 10 should have recognized MSE as incompatible at installation and removed it automatically. Something apparently prevented that from happening in the cases we've seen here in the forum. I presume that a manual uninstall of MSE may also be problematic in some cases -- either before the Windows 10 upgrade or after a rollback. Note that the uninstall MSE Wiki article (Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials ) has been viewed many, many times since publication as it, like other antivirus software, can be balky about an uninstall via normal means.

Based on feedback here in the forum there are several options open to you if you are faced with MSE on Windows 10 and a broken Windows Defender after an upgrade:

a. do a reset of Windows 10, which will remove all installed programs and data and will leave you with what will in essence be a clean Windows 10 installation with no programs installed.

b. roll back to Windows 7, remove MSE, perform the upgrade to Windows 10 a second time

c.  manually rip out MSE by editing the registry, stopping services while running in Safe Mode, and possibly removing leftover program files manually.

d.  Forum user ElifeGenc  provided this link - http://scottiestech.info/2016/04/30/windows-10-cant-uninstall-microsoft-security-essentials-no-problem/ - I've not tried this procedure, but there have been reports of it working.

Special thanks to:

ElifeGenc

See also:

Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply In reply to deleted message

For a variety of reasons I since a few days don't feel like participating in MC.

Thought it necessary though to inform you that PA Bear reported some hours ago the profile Brainsucker

in spam-thread and the profile seems to have been banned...

Guess that needs to be looked into.

Stephen,

ElifeGenc   posted the scottiestech link, a day or two before Brainsucker (IIRC) in this thread

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/uninstall-security-essentials-for-windows-10/3317fffb-d4e9-49e2-aeae-7b9c4d5f22d3?page=15

Edit (few minutes later)

I've asked that the ban on Brainsucker be reviewed. No need to edit your post until that's resolved.

Don

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

The process described by ElifGenc (option d) worked for me.  thanks!

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 26, 2021 Views 7,001 Applies to: