The issue is that upon reboot I get a message saying that Windows did not pass genuine validation and that Security Essentials will become disabled in 30 days.
Going online to resolve gives me the "Welcome to Windows! Because you have a vaild copy..." page.
Clicking the Validate link in MSE returns it to the 'Security Essentials is monitoring your computer and helping to protect it' state.
This would be acceptable for a personal machine, but I'm deploying this station out to our warehouse and I don't want them to have to deal with this.
Things I have tried:
- Ran the MGADiag.exe program, which verified Windows is genuine with no problems.
- Gave the data.dat file full permissions for the 'Everyone' user. From
- Gave same permissions to the MsseWat.dll and LegitLib.dll in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\ as suggested in
this other thread.
- I have uninstalled (from command prompt with /u) and reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials.
- I ran a full Malwarebytes Antimalware scan with no results.
This is a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 that I installed a week ago.
I have the C:\ drive locked down with Windows SteadyState, though the problem persisted when I uninstalled Disk Protection.
What can I try next?