MpKs????????? Files

Running Windows 7 Ultimate with Bitlocker, patched to date (except I am still using IE 8), on a Gateway CX2724.  Use MS Firewall and MS Security Essentials, which is also kept updated.

In Device Manager:

All my devices that normally show in Device Manager are good, but among my hidden devices I have under Non-Plug and Play Drivers, 67 instances showing a yellow exclamation mark, all named of the form MpKsI????????, all with a Code 24.  I found a reference on another forum suggesting these are created by MS Security Essentials, and implying that they can be removed.  Is this correct?

I also have under Non-Plug and Play Drivers one (hidden) driver of the same form of name that is said to be working correctly, and it's driver file is in "\??\c:\Program Data\ Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definitions Updates\..." (cannot see entire path, nor name).  Can it also be removed?

And also under Non-Plug and Play Drivers I have 135 other hidden drivers of the same form of name that are "ghosted" (i.e. non-present).  Can they be removed?

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2019 Views 3,078 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

There was an MSE bug some time ago that was corrected.

You can safely delete/uninstall the 67 instances and the 135 ghosted instances.

Leave the one that is working correctly alone.  There will always be one. It is a part of the process.

The bug was that MSE did not delete the old ones.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.