Microsoft Security Essentials - why is it switched off every time I log on to my laptop?

Hi

I hope someone can help with this.  I used Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on my last laptop without any problems.  I have a new laptop and downloaded MSE as my anti-virus provider.  However, every time I switch on my laptop, the MSE logo is a red cross highlighting that real time protection is switched off.  When I open it up and click on the 'turn on' button, it takes a couple of minutes, then a pop up tells me that it can't be turned on, then when I close the pop up  the 'turn on' box is highlighted again, enabling me to switch the real time protection on.  I'd just like to know if there's any easy way around this.  It is annoying that when I log on to my laptop, I have to wait several minutes before I can actually use it.  I am a mature student soon to be going into my final year and would really like to resolve this before I start back.  This happens every time I switch my laptop on.  Any advice will be gratefully accepted! I am a slight techno-phobe so layman's terms would be really helpful!  Thank you.

Answer
Answer

EICAR file was deleted after it downloaded confirms MSE is working properly. Problem is with Security Center. As Le Boule said, try scanning/updating your MSE. If it do not help then try this:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for 'Run'.
  2. In Run dialog box, type 'services.msc' and hit enter.
  3. In Services, search for 'Security Center'.
  4. Right click on 'Security Center' and click on 'Restart'.
  5. It may take some time to start. If Action Center is still showing red, try restarting your PC.

Hopefully, this will resolve the problem. If problem still exist trying this Fix It may help:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830295

Prashant Kumar

Hi

Thank you for your reply.  I have decided to use a different anti-virus programme as MSE was causing me too many problems.  

Kind regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2019 Views 1,104 Applies to: