Microsoft Security Essentials turns off Windows Defender

I have seen that MSE turns off Windows Defender. Is there a way to keep it turned on? Windows Defender may also have some vulnerabilities exposed in future. If turned off, it will not be updated and the vulnerable software will remain on the PC. How do we get around this?? Thank you.

My suggestion however:
If someone decides to install MSE, it should uninstall and delete Windows Defender from the system. And if the user uninstalls MSE, then Windows Defender must be installed back on the system for the uninstall of MSE to continue and finish successfully. Is such a thing possible?
Answer
Answer
No, that is by design.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

If you uninstall MSE on Vista or Windows 7, Defender is enabled once again automatically. I don't know if it does the same on XP, though it certainly can't if you remove Defender from XP.

Note that the MSE signatures and engine are an expanded version of what's in Defender, so nothing that Defender can catch when you remove MSE should have been missed by MSE while it was running.
-steve
Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2020 Views 44,738 Applies to: