Installation Error 0x80070643

Issue: You are receiving an error 0x80070643 when installing Microsoft Security Essentials.

See possible workarounds below:

Please refer to this content “I cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials” to address the following solutions:

1.      Remove any existing Internet security programs (antivirus/antispyware software).

·     Uninstall other antivirus/antispyware software on the machine prior to installing Microsoft Security Essentials

·     Antivirus/antispyware software may not uninstall completely and it would require running the appropriate cleanup tool to do a clean uninstall.  These tools are typically found within the product sites.  After completing a clean uninstall using the clean up tools, reboot the PC machine, and then install Microsoft Security Essentials.

2.      Make sure that the Windows Installer service is running

3.      Start Windows in Selective Startup mode

If you recently uninstalled OneCare, follow the steps below:

1.      Download the OneCare Utility clean up tool Copy the following web address, open your Internet browser, paste the address in the address box of your browser, and then press ENTER.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanup.exe

2.      Click Save.

3.      Select a location where you want to save the file, and then click Save.

4.      Go to the location where you saved the file.
In Windows XP, double-click the file.–or– In Windows Vista, right-click the file, and then click Run as administrator.

5.      Click Run, and then click Continue.

6.      Read the licensing agreement. If you agree to it, click I accept the terms of the End?User Licensing Agreement, and then click Continue.

7.      Click Clean.

8.      After the clean-up tool finishes, click Restart Now.

9.      After booting up the PC machine, install Microsoft Security Essentials

If the failure is on XP machine, check if the machine has windows installer 3.1 or above.

1.      We have a dependency and the AM bits install only if the XP machine had windows installer 3.1 or above

2.      Windows installer 3.1 can be manually installed from - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

If the workarounds above do not resolve your issue, check the install logs:

1.      Find the install logs from this path:
(XP) - \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support\msseInstall.log 

(Vista/W7) - \ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support\msseInstall.log

2.      Open the log and search for "return value 3" and you will see the error just above the first result.  See sample logs below. If you see the same items within the log, continue to the next step.

MSI (s) (CC:2C) [13:27:24:987]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Elevated custom action server.

MSI (s) (CC:E0) [13:27:25:283]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (CC:E0) [13:27:25:283]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

Action ended 13:27:25: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

3.      Click Start then click Run

4.      Give everyone permission to the desktop by typing the following command:

·         CACLS “c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop” /t /g everyone:f

5.      Give everyone permission to the Program menu by typing the following command:

·         Vista/Win7: CACLS “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs” /t /g everyone:f

·         XP: CACLS “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs” /t /g everyone:f

Visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy.  If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates. 

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2019 Views 695,982 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had this error message when trying to install MSE on a Windows XP machine and also a Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit machine.  Finally figured out that there were apparently remnants of a previous MSE beta program on my computers (under Windows Animalware) which had not been uninstalled completely. I used a product called My Uninstaller to remove these fragments and program then installed.  I could not get other uninstall programs to remove all traces of this program.  Would recommend (unless they already have such a tool) that Microsoft provide an uninstaller tool for Microsoft Security Essentials that completely removes all traces of the program from the registry.

53 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks a lot. I have passed 2 days searching why I could not install the new version of MSE on a computer that had MSE beta! And your post was the answer I needed. To remove Windows Antimalware I used the freeware Revo Uninstaller (www.revouninstaller.com). I would recommend this freeware : it removes all traces of the program from the registry and all folders from the system. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I experienced the Installation Error 0x80070643.  However I noted the following differences between your listed steps and my eventual solution:

The install log was located on my system in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support\ not in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support as listed in your workaround.  I am running Windows XP so it may be a XP vs Vista/Win7 difference.

I did not have a C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder so I manually created the folder then ran the CALCS commands and then the install.  The install did put the icon for MSE in the folder. (I have a hunch that the fact that the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder did not exist and was not created by the install was the reason that the install failed.)

Also I ran the CALCS commands in a command window (Start -> Run -> Command) instead of pasting the commands directly into the Start -> Run box.  When I entered those commands in the command window I was asked "Are you sure (Y/N)?" and I had to enter a "Y" for the command to run.

I am running Windows XP Home SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop.

Mark

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Mark. That's good information regarding the lack of the All Users\Desktop folder.
The path for the install log is a vista vs. XP thing.
Running CACLS in a command prompt would yield the results you encountered with the "are you sure" prompt.
-steve
~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Vaio with Windows 7 and have had MSE running for a while. Suddenly the message "Load down" showed up. I pushed the button and downloaded MSE once again; I tried to install 'the new one' and suddenly it was all messed up. I uninstalled MSE with Revo-uninstaller and tried again to install MSE but it failed and left the message 'Error code:0x80070643. I cleaned the register with CCleaner; tried again. Same result. I then run regedit searching for 'essential' and found a lot and deleated all. The install still failed with the same message.
Is there way back?

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Vaio with Windows 7 and have had MSE running for a while. Suddenly the message "Load down" showed up. I pushed the button and downloaded MSE once again; I tried to install 'the new one' and suddenly it was all messed up. I uninstalled MSE with Revo-uninstaller and tried again to install MSE but it failed and left the message 'Error code:0x80070643. I cleaned the register with CCleaner; tried again. Same result. I then run regedit searching for 'essential' and found a lot and deleated all. The install still failed with the same message.
Is there way back?

I'm not clear on what happened, but you may want to contact support.

Start here - https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

and select the link that says - I think my computer is infected.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
^_^

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

heres what i had to do and the things i tried.
while troubleshooting this error code i went thru a repair installation of windows xp w/ sp3 integrated with no success
updated to windows installer 4.5 with no success (although this solved the issue on one other machine but if it does not work then keep reading)
i double checked all registry permissions, ran the setup as an administrator and even booted with a selective startup via mconfig and still had no success

solution:
if you have the means, find another machine that will allow a successful installation of MSE
copy the Microsoft Security Essentials folder from Program Files and paste it onto the problematic machine
obtain the MSE setup exe file (mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe) and uncompress this to another folder, if you have winrar or something similar you can right click this file and Extract to...(given folder name)
take all folder contents and copy & paste them into the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials folder overwriting anything that it prompts about
run the Setup file within that folder and installation should be a success.

i stumbled on this solution after pretty much giving up hope and just a few failed attempts shy of a format...basically i was going to try and "force" an installation
after i moved the folder from a working machine onto my problematic machine i saw the Setup file and ran it, it errored out w/ a different error code and stated it was missing files so i decided to take my extracted files from the downloaded exe and move them into my C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials location and then ran the Setup once again for a successful install

prior to this i was running an install from command line w/ the extracted files w/ msiexec to get an error log which provided no help...so this is where i got the idea to combine these 2 folders for one last trial before completely reinstalling

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for sharing your solution, although it sure seems extreme.
-steve
^_^

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a client that I could not install MSE on and found that they have an OLD version of Microsoft Antispyware installed on their computer and that was holding up the show.  Removed it and it installed correctly.  Nothing like keeping software updated.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried all the previous messages advice to install.  I always got the error.  I uninstalled Microsoft AntiSpyware.  MSE installed with no problems.  This should be the first check.

·

Sorry this didn't help.