Question

I an unable to update Microsoft Security Essentials, getting "Error code: 0xc80003f3".

bthomas asked on

I an unable to update Microsoft Security Essentials.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  When I expand the error popup box by clicking the "Support information" arrow it shows "Error code: 0xc80003f3".  I researched this and the only thing I can find is that it is a memory error but my system has 3GB RAM and an ample pagefile (manually set and doubled the Windows "reccomended size") I am running a sidebar gadget that shows 44% RAM used so I'm not sure what is happening.  The Windows update will not update either and shows the same error (8xc80003f3)in the event logs for the WindowsUpdateClient.

Original title: Error code: 0xc80003f3

41 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
bthomas replied on

I just found a solution that worked and I will make it a little easier for those who need it.

Create a batch file with the following and run it from a command prompt.

*******Start File Below********

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll /s
net stop wuauserv
cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
rd /s /q DataStore
net start wuauserv
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll

******End File Above*******

Go to services and stop the Windows Update service
Go to the Windows directory (default is c:\Windows) and rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder to "SoftwareDistribution.old"
Go to services and start the Windows Update service

Worked for me.

103 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
BrendaStalnaker replied on

I searched all over the web looking for a way to resolve my problem.  I could not update Microsoft Security Essentials or complete Windows Updates even when I manually downloaded the updates.  I just copied the info into cmd.exe and then stopped the update services, renamed the folder and wallah I can now update everything. Thank You!!
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress