Question

I an unable to update Microsoft Security Essentials, getting "Error code: 0xc80003f3".

bthomas asked on

I an unable to update Microsoft Security Essentials.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  When I expand the error popup box by clicking the "Support information" arrow it shows "Error code: 0xc80003f3".  I researched this and the only thing I can find is that it is a memory error but my system has 3GB RAM and an ample pagefile (manually set and doubled the Windows "reccomended size") I am running a sidebar gadget that shows 44% RAM used so I'm not sure what is happening.  The Windows update will not update either and shows the same error (8xc80003f3)in the event logs for the WindowsUpdateClient.

Original title: Error code: 0xc80003f3

49 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
bthomas replied on

I just found a solution that worked and I will make it a little easier for those who need it.

Create a batch file with the following and run it from a command prompt.

*******Start File Below********

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll /s
net stop wuauserv
cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
rd /s /q DataStore
net start wuauserv
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll

******End File Above*******

Go to services and stop the Windows Update service
Go to the Windows directory (default is c:\Windows) and rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder to "SoftwareDistribution.old"
Go to services and start the Windows Update service

Worked for me.

3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
BrendaStalnaker replied on

I searched all over the web looking for a way to resolve my problem.  I could not update Microsoft Security Essentials or complete Windows Updates even when I manually downloaded the updates.  I just copied the info into cmd.exe and then stopped the update services, renamed the folder and wallah I can now update everything. Thank You!!
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress