Got message from Microsoft Essentials that they're no longer supporting XP but I'm running Vista.

Got message from Microsoft Essentials that they're no longer supporting XP but I'm running Vista. How can I set this right? Thanks.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think you may be confusing different issues. I would really like to know where and how you got this message though.

• Support for XP ended April 8, 2014.
  • Support for Vista will end on April 11, 2017.

Microsoft Security Essentials will be supported for Windows 7 until 7's end of life January 14. 2020. However, Vista will receive no supportive updates when it reaches it's end of life, including updates for MSE.

Windows End Of Life
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

I hope this clarifies your issue somewhat.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Got message from Microsoft Essentials that they're no longer supporting XP but I'm running Vista. How can I set this right? Thanks.

Just booted up my old Dell Vista laptop for the first time in several days. The MSE icon was amber instead of green and up came a popup that support was ending for MSE with a link to the following: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14223/windows-xp-end-of-support#!/en-us/help/14223/windows-xp-end-of-support

I attempted to manually update the MSE program and it eventually did update to virus definitions 1.233.4320.0 which is current according to the MMPC:https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/whatsnew.aspx

But the MSE icon remains amber and indicates “potentially unprotected.”  I tested MSE with the Eicar Test Virus – MSE detected and quarantined the file so the program is still functional.  I assume it will no longer automatically update but I’ll have to wait a few days before trying that.

Indeed it does appear that MS is shutting down support for MSE on Vista a few months early!

And frankly, I don't think Vista is any more secure at this point in time than XP.

No, I'm not employed by MS.  No, I don't like the decision.  But MS probably could care less whether I like their decision or not.  Last stats I saw indicate Vista (which wasn’t a popular OS) is only being used by about 1% of the operating systems and that's probably why MS is doing this...it's not worth the cost of supporting MSE on that OS.

Anybody wanting a different AV suggest review the following but note that some of the AV programs listed no longer support Vista:

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=vista

I guess I'll eventually be putting Avast or AVG on this Vista unless I unexpectedly decide it's worth paying for a subscription to one of several programs that still support Vista.  Unfortunately Emsisoft Antimalware which is arguably the best antivirus/antimalware program I've ever used is one of the vendors that has already abandoned the Vista OS so even considering EAM for this laptop is not an option.

Good luck to others who still have a Vista computer - anybody with any ideas suggest you post in this thread.

EDIT:  And I guess due to the "Support For This System Is Ending" message added by MS to the MSE icon I see the computer will no longer hibernate.  Ah, well!  Thank you, MS!

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

LeBoule- Thanks so much for your reply. I've got Reason Core Security anti virus program on the computer so I'll just trust that. I bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 10.  I hate it!  Issue was that new hot spot wouldn't work with Vista. Found a replacement battery for old one so my old Dell with Vista OS is back. It's an old friend and functions flawlessly and it even runs Family Tree Maker 2006 which is better than any of the "improved" versions. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

< SNIP >

Indeed it does appear that MS is shutting down support for MSE on Vista a few months early!

And frankly, I don't think Vista is any more secure at this point in time than XP.

No, I'm not employed by MS.  No, I don't like the decision.  But MS probably could care less whether I like their decision or not.  Last stats I saw indicate Vista (which wasn’t a popular OS) is only being used by about 1% of the operating systems and that's probably why MS is doing this...it's not worth the cost of supporting MSE on that OS.

< SNIP >

When Microsoft began their push to Windows 10 back in 2015, the future for older operating system versions like Windows Vista was sealed.

Unlike the overly long extensions of support for Windows XP before it, Microsoft has learned that providing this additional support does little to decrease the consumer trends towards other more modern and mobile hardware in its place, along with simply creating additional support burden (e.g. cost) for Microsoft.

The more extreme issues relating to Vista though are that the Internet Explorer 9 browser which was the latest version supported for that OS, has been only minimally supported since the January, 12, 2016 declaration that Support for older versions of Windows Internet Explorer would be ended.  And since Google had already indicated in late 2015 that starting April 2016, Chrome would continue to function on Vista, but no longer receive updates and security fixes, the most popular browsers are basically already not supported.

So combined with the fact that Windows Vista will lose support for critical Windows updates as of April 11th, 2017, the additional loss of any truly safe browser means that using these systems on the Internet after that date will be highly dangerous.  Even more so than it was with Windows XP after support for it ended, since Google had extended support for Chrome, while Microsoft and many other 3rd-party security providers extended support for antivirus products for a year or more.

The current warning message for MSE being displayed, though indicating the wrong operating system at the link provided, is a clear indication from Microsoft not to expect any further extensions of support for Vista, if that weren't already clear enough.

Anyone choosing to continue to use their Vista based PC past the April 11th End-of-Support date is simply asking for the system to be compromised and any data it contains to be stolen or destroyed as well.

Rob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone choosing to continue to use their Vista based PC past the April 11th End-of-Support date is simply asking for the system to be compromised and any data it contains to be stolen or destroyed as well.

Well, that's certainly clear. Is another option to install Windows 7? Some of my older peripherals (Canon Rebel Xti, possibly very good Epson scanner) which I use frequently won't work with Windows 10. Where would one buy a good copy of Windows 7 if that would work? Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

cowboymary,

The option to install Windows 7 would have been a good idea a few years back, but it would be difficult to find a retail copy to install now since Microsoft had stopped selling it as of October 30, 2013.  Any copies available would have been stocked long ago and likely sold, so those out there now might likely be pirated or otherwise compromised.

It was difficult even finding this discussion of this fact, but the following does mention that OEMs can continue to sell their versions until the end of sales date for PCs with Windows preinstalled, which I would guess means those models using Windows 7 so this might be past as well.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_install/windows-7-end-of-sales/29c01ce6-8fd1-483e-8c01-d98174270bcf

The only way to be certain would be to try contacting the manufacturer of your computer and ask them if they can sell you a copy.

Note that even Windows 7 though has an End-of-Life date in January of 2020 as I recall, so you'd only get another 3 years support at best.  So it might be better to consider using your computer offline most of the time after support for Vista ends if you've got any possibility of replacing the PC entirely later this year.

Rob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok so microsoft screwed up giving wrong information for folks who has vista and that still going to support until april 11th so the question is are they going to fixed this problem will they change the icon back to green so that its protected and not showing amber/orange potentially unprotected  or are we just going to simple ignore this until find another virus scanner or a new computer

also tell me if this is wrong is windows update no longer going to provide mse definitions updates or am i going to continue to receive them  and i got it to automatically scan every sat/sun morning around 2 am will it still do it for example this coming up week or not

the funny thing is real time protection is on and virus/definitions are up to date so to speak its just color no longer showing green as protected instead orange/amber potentially unprotected meh

i would like to know this asap please

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, this really sucks! I am on a fixed income and can not at this time buy a new computer. The company I worked for before I retired started using windows 10, and NO BODY liked it!! Windows 7 was OK. I do have an anti-virus program, that I pay for, so hopefully I will be OK. Thank you all for the information that you provided.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok so microsoft screwed up giving wrong information for folks who has vista and that still going to support until april 11th so the question is are they going to fixed this problem will they change the icon back to green so that its protected and not showing amber/orange potentially unprotected  or are we just going to simple ignore this until find another virus scanner or a new computer

also tell me if this is wrong is windows update no longer going to provide mse definitions updates or am i going to continue to receive them  and i got it to automatically scan every sat/sun morning around 2 am will it still do it for example this coming up week or not

the funny thing is real time protection is on and virus/definitions are up to date so to speak its just color no longer showing green as protected instead orange/amber potentially unprotected meh

i would like to know this asap please

No one here can answer all of this for certain, since we're mostly just other consumer PC users like yourself.

However, I'm quite sure this was done on purpose by Microsoft to warn people who may not know that support for Windows Vista is ending on April 11th, 2017 that they will be at great risk after that date.  For this reason I also wouldn't expect much of a change in the display of the warning before that date and possibly a change to a red warning after it passes, since this is what I recall happened with Windows XP.

I don't believe that Microsoft would intentionally break the operation of MSE protecting your PC, so if this were an undesired side effect I'd assume it was unintended.  However, I would also assume that there may be no support for updated definitions after April 11th, so I'd take a look at Le Boule's post above for possible options if you absolutely must keep using your Windows Vista PC after that date.

Rob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

MSE autoupdated on my Vista and is current, MSE icon remains amber and “potentially unprotected” but still detects and quarantines the Eicar Test File so it continues to function.  I just ran a Quick Scan which detected no issues and I confirmed the MSE findings with a Malwarebytes scan.

Suggest you post back in this thread this weekend and let us know if the scheduled scan still works.

MSE may continue to “function” in this “potentially unprotected” state until MS ends support for Vista in April though as difficult as it has previously been to update Windows Vista each month the end of support for some users has essentially already occurred.  I think the MSE program was supported on XP for over one year after “official” support for Win XP ended – there are no longer any upgrades for MSE programs on XP and no information is available to my knowledge as to exactly when MSE on Vista will no longer be updated.

Anyone who wishes to change to a different AV program suggest you see my first post in this thread.

The advice and various comments provided by Rob Koch in this thread are most appropriate for this situation.

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 31, 2020 Views 12,120 Applies to: