Genuine Windows Validation Error With MS Security Essentials
I am also experiencing problems getting MS SE to work due to "Genuine Windows" validation errors.
1. My copy is Genuine (XP Pro, SP3).
2. I am not running any other security software other than MS SE.
3. I have followed ALL of the suggestions put forth by MS, and have contacted the MS Genuine Windows Team (and sent the appropriate error reports). They cannot help me with this problem. I have also reinstalled SE and changed my default browser to IE (from
Firefox). The fact that I have a legitimate copy of Windows has been verified.
MS needs to determine what they have changed in this software for the most current release that causes this problem and correct it. MS SE ran fine prior to this update.
Thank you for your reply. I understand the system can pass the validation in the website, but Microsoft Security Essentials still shows this system as not genuine. I appreciate your time and efforts on this issue.
This issue may occur if the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) engine does not have permission to access the data.dat file. In order to confirm this point and resolve the issue, let's refer to the following steps:
1. Log on to the computer using an Administrator user account.
2. Click "Start", and click "My Computer".
3. On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options".
4. Click the "View" tab.
5. Under "Hidden files and folders", check on "Show hidden files and folders".
6. Click to clear the "Hide extensions for known file types" check box, and then click "OK".
7. We will find the file named "data.dat" under the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data
8. Right-click the "data.dat" file, and click "Properties".
9. Click the "Security" tab.
Note: If the "Security" tab cannot be viewed, please refer to the information after Step 12.
10. Click "Advanced".
11. In the "Name" tab, please check if "Everyone" is listed. If so, please click the "Exit" button, and check on "Full Control". If "Everyone" is not listed, please click the "Add" button, enter the name "Everyone" (without the quotation marks), press
"enter "from the keyboard, choose "Full Control" in the pop-up window, and click "OK".
12. Please click "OK" to accept the changes.
Please also check the information below regarding viewing of the Security Tab in Window XP Professional Edition.
1. Click "Start", and click "My Computer".
2. On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options".
3. In the "View" tab, uncheck the option "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" at the bottom of the list.
4. Click "OK".