Error code: 0x80248014 while trying to upgrade

I have MSE 1.0.1611.0 and when I try to check for new version using the upgrade option in Help menu, the upgrade wizard appears and when I click on Upgrade button, I get
Error code: 0x80248014
I tried many times but same error.
So what does this error mean and what's the problem in my upgrade?
thanks.
Assem

Question Info

Last updated November 24, 2019 Views 90,087 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

That error appears to be a Windows Update error, which makes sense since you encounter it when doing a check for upgrade - which uses Windows Update.
Can you successfully check for updates using Windows Update in Windows?
I found the following information on how to deal with this error in Windows update:

Error number: 0x80248014 (Originally was 0x8024001D) when applying Windows Updates
Suggestion 1: Rename temporary folder SoftwareDistribution

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

net start WuAuServ

Please go to the Windows Update site to test this issue. If that works then it was a corrupted Windows Update file and we needed to remove the folder in which it resides.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

93 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Assem Kh, while you do have the most current build of MSE you should not get an error code when you check for upgrades. You should see a message that says you are already using the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials. I suggest submitting a support case here - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/support.aspx?mkt=en-us&s=3#mainNav
Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.