Question

Q: Error Code 0x8004ff56 When Installing Microsoft Security Essentials

I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I just finished recovering my computer from the BSoD with the manufacturer's recovery disk, and figured I'd better install a good antivirus. I uninstalled AVG and some McAffee crapware. I tried to install the file, but as soon as it finished loading, it displayed this message:

"The Security Essentials Installation Wizard is missing a filter manager rollup package needed to complete the installation. To continue installing Security Essentials, you must first download the required package."

It then has a "Download required package" link, but clicking on it does nothing. If someone can point me towards where I can download this package or otherwise fix this issue, I would be very grateful. Thank you for your time.

Answer

A:

You need to install an update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914882 this is a required update on XPSP2 before installing MSE.
Please follow the advise from Doc here: Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials 
I highly recommend that you update to XPSP3.

MVP [2011] | Consumer Security
Visit me@Crimson Spectrum
Minion of the Moon, My Crimson Sanctuary

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 72,922 Last updated: June 22, 2018 Applies to: