Error Code 0x8004ff56 When Installing Microsoft Security Essentials

I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I just finished recovering my computer from the BSoD with the manufacturer's recovery disk, and figured I'd better install a good antivirus. I uninstalled AVG and some McAffee crapware. I tried to install the file, but as soon as it finished loading, it displayed this message:

"The Security Essentials Installation Wizard is missing a filter manager rollup package needed to complete the installation. To continue installing Security Essentials, you must first download the required package."

It then has a "Download required package" link, but clicking on it does nothing. If someone can point me towards where I can download this package or otherwise fix this issue, I would be very grateful. Thank you for your time.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2018 Views 72,965 Applies to:
Answer

You need to install an update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914882 this is a required update on XPSP2 before installing MSE.
Please follow the advise from Doc here: Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials 
I highly recommend that you update to XPSP3.

MVP [2011] | Consumer Security
Visit me@Crimson Spectrum
Minion of the Moon, My Crimson Sanctuary

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.