Today my machine got the red balloon saying that MSE was turned off. I know I didn't click on any "off" button and when I tried to uninstall/re-install I get the error 0x8007064C & after some fooling around I get error 08004FF07. This machine has been
dragging it's butt since the recent "upgrade" that was sent thru this past week.
I already tried to un-install with the Live One un-installer, but that made no difference. Any suggestions?
More...when I try to uninstall, I also get a notice informing me that path "d:\99df6d1e4378f48ef618\" can't been found...I just tried the procedure porvidied by
Aiscer to NO results, just the same.
Aiscer's Answer was very close to the one that worked
I couldn't find in Task Manager the two entries that were noted, but I did find one that read something like"msiexe" and right click to end this process. Then I ran again the cleanup utility, and that removed the incomplete update and all. Then the re-install
went thru perfectly.
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Error code 64C is for an installation path or source which could not be found. As by your notice the "D:\[Random Number]" is an temporary extraction location for an Update, Setup or Installation. This usually occurs when the Update for MSE
passed through Windows Update and does not complete successfully.
After it installs Look for an entry in "All Programs" for the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility A Window should appear. Select ONLY Microsoft Antimalware from the list then hit Remove.
Close the window.
Now you need to open Task Manager and then look for any of the following entries: MsMpEng.exe
MSIExec.exe Right click on each entry and then choose to End Process.
Now follow the instructions here:
1. Download the MSE installer for your Operating System from the Home Page:http://microsoft.com/security_essentials
2. Save the file to your Desktop. This will ensure that you can find it easily after the download is done.
3. Now press the Windows Key and R all at the same time. This will open the RUN dialog box.
4. Make sure that you delete any entries inside the RUN box first. Now drag the MSE installer into the RUN dialog box.
5. Depending on your Operating System, after dragging the file into RUN it should appear as any of the three below: "C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe" C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7 C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe
6. Now put a space in between the whole line and put /U as seen below: "C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe" /U
C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7 /U
C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Desktop\mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe /U 7. Hit OK.
8. Now install MSE using the same package you downloaded on the Desktop.
Updating solution for "MSIEXEC.EXE" - Thanks for posting back.