0x8007064a error code during install

No other security is installed on the machine.
After validating Windows , the software states that it cannot complete the installation.
System is Windows 7 RC.
|
Answer
Answer
No other security is installed on the machine.
After validating Windows , the software states that it cannot complete the installation.
System is Windows 7 RC.
I have found a possible solution to this issue.

Go into regedit (Start > Run > regedit or regedt32)

In the registry, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products

There will be a list of folders with hexidecimal naming schemes, scroll through them until you find the folder that has Microsoft Security Client listed as the ProductName.  Make a note of the hexidecimal folder name it is found in, then goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes.

Scroll through those folders until you find the one with registry key that matches the folder name the Microsoft Security Client key was found in.

Delete both folders (the one in Products that has the MSC key in it and the one in UpgradeCodes that has the key that matches the folder name you found in Products).  You may want to look through all the folders in both Products and UpgradeCodes just to make sure there isn't more than one for Microsoft Security Client (or potentially Microsoft Security Essentials, I found a folder that had a key that simply said "essentials" but this one DOES NOT need to be deleted), or more than one folder in UpgradeCodes that has a matching key for the MSC Product key folder.

Just to be safe, export each folder before you delete them.  At first, I only deleted the key out of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products, and after I did that, I got error code 0X80070645, so I had to restore it to find the right key to delete from UpgradeCodes as well, but once I deleted both, MSE successfully installed.

This may also work if it's not a corrupted version of MSE that's messing up the install.  Just look for any other anti-virus you might have had on the computer in the ProductName registry key and do the same thing.

Note: After installing, I could not turn on Real Time Protection, receiving error 0x800705b4.  At this point, all I did was uninstall MSE, restart, and reinstall to fix this issue.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2020 Views 30,451 Applies to: