why is my M.S.E. saying my computer has not been scanned in a long time,even though I just scanned it,but icon is still showing scan alert(yellow)

my dell laptop has Vista 32,4g's of memory.Downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials 6 months ago,was working fine,then got the scan alert (mustard color) stating a scan has not been done in a while.It shows last scan on the 11th,even though I have a scan scheduled every sunday,I scanned the computer but I still have the alert icon. Any help I would appreciate it.
Answer
Answer
my dell laptop has Vista 32,4g's of memory.Downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials 6 months ago,was working fine,then got the scan alert (mustard color) stating a scan has not been done in a while.It shows last scan on the 11th,even though I have a scan scheduled every sunday,I scanned the computer but I still have the alert icon. Any help I would appreciate it.

Microsoft Security Essentials – Installation Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions

Are you using CCleaner?  Piriform has programmed it for some reason to remove part of the MSE History files and it's deleting the files MSE checks to determine the last time a scan was conducted. 

Open CCleaner Applications Tab, Under Windows uncheck MS Antimalware...that should prevent CCleaner from deleting the MS Antimalware scanning history files.  The actions of CCleaner should not have any effect on the antimalware protection provided by MSE.

You may also need to uncheck MS Management Console.

To re-establish a scan history, you may need to run a "Quick Scan" and re-boot the computer. 

Do you use Advanced System Care? We have reports of ASC “deleting” administrative files from MSE in the same manner that CCleaner is deleting them. Again, these are administrative files and the removal of same by ASC is an inconvenience to the users of MSE but removal of the files does not affect the antimalware protection of MSE.

If so, open ASC, in the upper right corner, click More, Settings

Scroll to Quick Care, Privacy Sweep, go to Windows, be sure MS Antimalware and MS Management Console (if visible) are unchecked.

Scroll to Deep Care, Privacy Sweep, go to Windows, be sure MS Antimalware and MS Management Console (if visible) are unchecked.

Click on Auto Clean under Automatic Service - uncheck the MS AntiMalware under windows - then click the button to Apply and OK.

Or contact ASC Support at: http://www.iobit.com/

If you are not using CCleaner or Advanced System Care, or the above steps do not address the issue, see this thread for other alternatives to resolve this problem including contacting MSE Support if necessary:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/why-after-a-couple-of-days-after-a-scan-does-my/0dc5b433-28ec-4180-a8ee-26a6cd10c3ab

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 73 Applies to: