When I attempt to run a Full Scan my computer shuts down

On or about May 23, 2011, I believe Windows did an update.  Ever since that time, I've been unable to run a full scan using MSE.  To be sure, I uninstalled and reinstalled MSE but I still have the same problem.  The scan runs for about 2-3 minutes and then my computer just shuts down - no pop ups, no error messages.  Sometimes I can quickly reboot and other times it might take up to 6 minutes to get the computer to reboot.  I can't believe it has anything to do with CPU temperature because I had 4 fans installed.  When I do immediately reboot, I check the CPU and the temperature reads anywhere between 50 to 55 degrees Celsius.  I'm now at a point where I just want to forget about using MSE and yet I'm told this is a good program.  And yet, it does me no good if I cannot complete a scan and my computer keeps shutting down.

I've tried to find answers on your Community Forum but many of the discussions do not include resolutions because many folks end up submitting a Support Ticket.  And that's what I'm doing now.

I guess I could restore my system to May 23rd but I fear that the problem will repeat itself with the waiting updates.  What I need is a solution to this problem.  Hope someone can help me.  Thanks

Susan

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 2,236 Applies to:
Answer

Wow, Kosh

Thank you very much for all the suggestions you offered.

After some detective work, I believe I have discovered the cause of my computer shutting down while trying to run a full scan.  It seems my CPU is overheating and is reaching the shutdown temperature level.  Why this is occurring I don't know. 

Recently I had more fans installed in my computer bringing it to 4 fans plus the video card fan.  I was told my CPU should not overheat even after 12 hours of MMORPG playing.  So I'm truly puzzled why this is happening.  

I'll be taking my computer back to the shop where I had it customized.  Hopefully they will be able to ferret out the problem.

I did run a chkdsk per your suggestion and I've been able to rule that out.  I also ran a quick scan using MSE.  When I discovered what was causing my computer to shut down, I decided not to follow through with your other suggestions at this time.

Thank you again for your very thorough response to my question.  I will save your email in case I run into any further problems. 

Susan Lewis

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.