Security center unable to start , Error code 0 x 8007043c

On my notification are it says to turn on windows security center service but i cant turn it on. it just openes for about a sec and closes again. same goes for windows defender, i scaned my system with malware bytes and removed the infection but the problem remains the same . i tried to open it up on safe mode, i was able to open the microsoft security essential and there it says "real time protection is turned off, you should turn it on" then when i clicked on botton "turn on" it loads for some moment and then bang... the error code again .....

some one from microsoft shoul see this problem ASAP cause its not the 1st time i have experienced the issue , previously i had same problem with my laptop, someone from microsoft tried to fix it through remote connection but ended up on crashing it even more,, then i threw the laptop over the bridge, now i have same problem on my desktop ... WHAT YOU GUYS WANT ME TO THROW MY DESKTOP AS WELL????????

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2018 Views 4,291 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Saron.shrs,

0x8007043c = "ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode"  If you are in safe mode, whatever you are trying to do cannot be done because the service cannot be started.  It can only be done in normal mode.  It is normal and expected with what you were trying to do when you were in Safe Mode.

Are you saying you are getting this same error message in normal mode when you try to start the Security Center or is it a different message then (or do you get no message at all)?  If it's that same message code, that's certainly strange since you aren't in Safe Mode and that error should not ever happen in normal mode.  Let's go through the process of making sure the Security Center service is enabled to make sure that isn't the problem.  Some malware disables Security Center and even removing the infection often does not resolve what the infection has done.  This is actually fairly common (though not with that error code if it is occurring when you do this in normal mode - that has me stumped - but the following is still worth a try).

Go to Start / Control Panel / Administrative tools / Services and scroll to Security Center.  Click on the dependencies Tab and go to each of the dependency services and click on their dependencies tabs until you have no more.  Then work backwards and make sure that each service listed as a dependency is both activated and started.  Continue along each chain until you finally get back to Security Center and make sure it is both activated and started.  Then do exactly the same for the Security Accounts Manager service.  While in services, also deactivate and stop the Defender service.  Reboot when done and see if this helps the situation.

MSE should start automatically in any event (in normal mode).  Even if Security Center still has a problem, open and try to start MSE (if it isn't already started and running).  If so, at least you are protected even if Security Center isn't working to "prove" it to you.

If that doesn't work, try a clean boot  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.  If the problem goes away then it's just a matter of tracking down the culprit causing the problem.   Follow the procedures in the article.  Once found, delete, remove, deactivate, or uninstall it.  Once done be sure to reset the OS back to normal status as explained in the procedures. If the problem occurs in clean mode then just restore the system to normal status and reboot - this solution is not going to work.

Even if this works, you were still infected and perhaps the infection was not resolved, so please follow the prior advice from Stephen even if this seems to have resolved the problem.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

MVP(7/2012-6/2015),MCSE,MCSA,MCC2011,xCMM,xCAM,A+,Net+,Security Expert, xInfluencer. See Profile.

W10Prox64 Fast 16299rs3; Ofc Insider 1710/8613.1000; Edge,IE11,Chrome.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

If you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender should be turned off on Vista/Windows 7 or removed from XP.

When you boot to Safe Mode, MSE cannot provide real time protection, but it can perform a scan of your system.

However, since the PC was/is infected:

Start here - https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

and select the link that says - I think my computer is infected - and then select the support option for phone, chat or email (options will vary by Region)

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for free help  from Microsoft for virus and spyware infections.

-steve

^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.