Individual file scan option not available

We have Windows 7 Ultimate, w/Security Essentials.

Sometime over the past couple weeks, the right-click option to scan files has disappeared from the drop-menu.

Today was the first time we noticed the option missing, (the last time I remembered scanning downloaded files using this option was about 2 weeks ago).

Is there a way to "reset" the program to restore the functions without completely re-installing MSE?

Thank you.

Answer
Answer

Been spending all afternoon with Microsoft Tech Support people regarding this issue.  Went through 3 different techs who apparently did not understand this problem I had been explaining to them regarding the very issue this thread is about.  Extremely frustrating as you all would probably understand.

I have a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP-1 operating system on this computer of mine.  I noticed this issue today after the latest Microsoft Security Essentials critical update which took place last night for me. 

Here is what you do.  Do a system restore say on the 27th or 26th of this month.  That will bring back your individual file scan option when you right-click the folder you want to scan.  When you restart your computer, be sure to quickly turn off automatic windows updates and just have your computer notify you when updates are available that way your system does not reinstall the Microsoft Security Update which IS THE ISSUE.  That is what I have done and everything works as usual while I await Microsoft to fix this update.

The Microsoft Security Essentials update you don't want to install is 4.10.205.0.  That is the update which gets rid of the right-click individual scan option this thread speaks of.

Hope this helps.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello BNutz455

Have a look here => http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/401125-windows-calls-kb3193414-update-important-but.html and the workaround of "UsernameIssues" at the post #10

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2020 Views 15,227 Applies to: