I have MSE installed on all 4 of my machines ... 2 laptops and 1 desktop running Win XP sp3, and my wife's IBM laptop running Win XP Pro sp3.
Before installing MSE on my wife's laptop about a month ago, she had a rogue A/V program that McAfee would not fix and I had to use MalwareBytes and Combofix to get rid of it.
I then completely removed McAfee and installed MSE.
Unfortunately these rogue apps do a number on your system, and it really affected her windows update service .... especially the Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS).
I would have to manually start this service each day for her to get her updated ... including MSE updates.
Well, after a month of searching I found a great site that has a tool that fixes the BITS changes caused by viruses.
I followed the instructions for running this batch file, and now BITS starts when Windows boots, and my wife gets her updates :-)
Here's what it does ...
This script will attempt to fix common problems with the Windows XP Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- It fixes the cause of several Windows Update stop code problems.
- It fixes issues with Windows Update time codes not matching the server.
- It will also fix specific BITS corruption caused by the Symantec SymNRT Removal Tool.
- The latest version also attempts to repair registry damage done by some viruses.
The fix consists of five steps:
- Stopping Services
- Repairing Registry Keys
- Deleting Corrupted Folders
- Registering Driver Files
- Starting Services
It worked like a charm!!!
All he asks for is a small donation of $1.50 through Paypal if this works for you . Worth every penny!