Great Fix for when the Win XP BITS service gets corrupted from viruses!

Hello All
I have MSE installed on all 4 of my machines ... 2 laptops and 1 desktop running Win XP sp3, and my wife's IBM laptop running Win XP Pro sp3.
Before installing MSE on my wife's laptop about a month ago, she had a rogue A/V program that McAfee would not fix and I had to use MalwareBytes and Combofix to get rid of it.
I then completely removed McAfee and installed MSE.
Unfortunately these rogue apps do a number on your system, and it really affected her windows update service .... especially the Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS).
I would have to manually start this service each day for her to get her updated ... including MSE updates.
Well, after a month of searching I found a great site that has a tool that fixes the BITS changes caused by viruses.

http://www.philmorgan.net/techie-tools/windows-update-bits-background-intelligent-transfer-service-fix-batch-file-for-windows-xp

I followed the instructions for running this batch file, and now BITS starts when Windows boots, and my wife gets her updates :-)

Here's what it does ...

This script will attempt to fix common problems with the Windows XP Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

• It fixes the cause of several Windows Update stop code problems.
  • It fixes issues with Windows Update time codes not matching the server.
  • It will also fix specific BITS corruption caused by the Symantec SymNRT Removal Tool.
  • The latest version also attempts to repair registry damage done by some viruses.

The fix consists of five steps:

1. Stopping Services
  2. Repairing Registry Keys
  3. Deleting Corrupted Folders
  4. Registering Driver Files
  5. Starting Services

It worked like a charm!!!

All he asks for is a small donation of $1.50 through Paypal if this works for you . Worth every penny!

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2018 Views 24,180 Applies to:
Answer
Thanks for the info. There is also a free automated fix available from Microsoft Fix It - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Jim
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.