Event Viewer Scam (Phone Call)

June 11, 2012

Two days ago someone from a company called PCMARV (pcmarv.com, 805-354-5696, supposedly San Diego) called me, and I endured a long "technical assistance" call of the sort documented in this forum as "eventvwr scam." Others have explained it in this forum with topics that that include the word "scam."

The caller (who had a heavy foreign accent) claimed that his company is PAID by Microsoft to be the "Global Service and Support Provider" (his exact words) for Microsoft to resolve problems related to Vista and XP. He made this point over and over.

As to why he was calling, he claimed that it was a response to (garden-variety) "Send Error Report" messages that my computer sometimes generates after a program crashes or such... According to him, his company receives these messages.

He then went through the eventvwr scam technique, where he had me open the Event Viewer and count the Red-X Errors and Yellow Warnings. He kept saying, "Jesus... that's a lot!" Of course he tried to persuade me that these errors were causing some PC slowdowns or malfunctions.

Next he had me do a search for .PNF files, another sign of distress with my computer, he claimed.

He stated that the PC has software and hardware "protection codes" which are the last 6 digits of the "Registered To" number under My Computer properties. Of course my codes had "expired."

I allowed him to remote into my PC, with a Remote Desktop Connection program, and they ran a "scan" of my computer. What they did was bring up a command window and run the Tree command to view the full directory tree structure. In other words, it looked like something fancy was happening, that actually did nothing.

At that point I'd had enough.

<Removed>

In all of this what bugs me most was the outright LIE that these people are telling about representing MICROSOFT.

They should be prosecuted, and I'd like to know how to better report this abuse than a user's forum.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2018 Views 92,295 Applies to:
Answer

See the post of SpiritX in this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/scam-where-to-report/b8b4e5f4-06cf-46cd-8ebe-b143d9eed87f

But it's almost a lost cause...as Kosh Vorlon says these scam callers pop up like dandelions on a Spring Day.

The best way to combat the problem is educating consumers not to fall for the scam and subsequently preventing the scammers from having any success.  But...then they'll come up with another way to scam the public.

In the meantime what did the scammers do while they had access to your computer?  Do you need to change passwords, contact your financial institutions and/ir reformat/reinstall your OS?

Suggest you thoroughly review the following:

http://ask-leo.com/i_got_a_call_from_microsoft_and_allowed_them_access_to_my_computer_what_do_i_do_now.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/i-fell-for-the-eventvwr-phone-scam/8e79cd60-0a09-4ed6-85b0-056230878815?page=1

Regards...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

56 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.