error message scam?

receiving phone calls, ostensibly from 'windows provider for microsoft' tellingme that my computer is continually sending error messages and asking me to go to 'run' and follow their instructions (heavily accented).  I've asked them not to call back but have received one more call since from same individual.  hung up.  response from the community welcomed.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2019 Views 9,569 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Pat,

It is a SCAM!!! Microsoft does not call you like that to tell you your computer has problems. Nor does it hire any other companies to do so for them. For one thing, they have almost no way of knowing this even if you do provide them with information using SpyNet or other methods. For another, they will NOT call you about such problems unless you have first called them to request assistance and they are returning your call.

Just hang up if they call again and tell them never again to call you. Do nothing they suggested and go to no websites they recommended and if they send you e-mail, add the sender to your blocked sender's list, delete it without opening it, opening any attachments, clicking any links on it, going to any sites mentioned on it, or doing anything other than deleting it. Then go to the deleted items folder and delete it from there to remove it from your computer. Give these people absolutely no information and don't even confirm information they claim to already have. Do NOT allow them to access your computer. Do not follow their instructions to check things on your computer because they know where to send you to make it seem like you do have a problem (I can send you there too and quickly convince you you have a serious problem when it's most likely perfectly normal but it's a good way to fool most people) when you really don't and they trick many people this way. We see this here all the time. Not this one in particular, but others that do essentially the same thing. It's becoming more and more frequent. It seems a lot come from India, but that just seems to be the case from the posts I've seen and they can come from absolutely anywhere.

You did great to check before falling into their trap. You saved yourself an enormous headache sooner or later down the road. It was either a complete scam, or a deceptive marketing technique to get you to buy something you don't really need, or a way to gather information for identity theft, or a way to attempt to gain access to and infect your computer. Even if they are a legitimate business, they are NOT Microsoft and I would not do business with anyone who starts out with such misrepresentations.

I'm glad your good judgement here has kept you from posting here in a few days with a serious problem of some sort to say nothing about potentially spending good money for no reason (and possibly more than you agreed if they continue to use your account to charge other things). You can always get free help here.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

MVP(7/2012-6/2015),MCSE,MCSA,MCC2011,xCMM,xCAM,A+,Net+,Security Expert, xInfluencer. See Profile.

W10Prox64 Fast 16299rs3; Ofc Insider 1710/8613.1000; Edge,IE11,Chrome.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Ongoing scam...you handled this quite well.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.